lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
kurtpuryear@hotmail.com
Not Yet Wild

Default 1997 ez go txt standard dcs ECS problem

Hello. I am new to this forum. I recently purchased this EZ Go. serial number is 1041897. I know its a 1997 TXT standard DCS model. The cart runs fine but after about 15 mins at low speeds, it stops running. If you let it sit a min, it will go another 5 mins and so on. I know it is completly charged. I have replaced the wires to 6g now, but that didnt help. If you run it fast and hard it doesnt heat up as bad. If I lift the seat the 3 wires going to the Electronic Speed Controller are VERY hot, as well as the ECS itself, and the solenoid. The solenoid was supposely just replaced. The cart has mods to it. It has lift kit, big tires, cdplayer, speakers. Has been charged for two days, drove it for 10 mins around the farm at low speeds and it stopped. Let is sit for 5 mins, and will go, then keep doing the same.. But as long as I go fast doesnt do it as much. Does anyone know the problem here? is it a bad speed controller? what does anyone suggest I do. Thanks for the help.
kurtpuryear@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1997 ez go txt standard dcs ECS problem

If the cart has had those mods. done and it still has the original controller then you are more than likely overloading the controller and solenoid, which should be upgraded together with the wiring to cope with the large tires etc.

Last edited by Golfdog; 07-07-2012 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: more info
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

As Golfdog mentioned, tall tires and/or going slow will cause a DCS controller to go into thermal shutdown, but shouldn't cause the cables to get hot.
Cables getting hot means that the cables are too small and/or the connections are bad.

If your tires are 22" or less in diameter and you drive on relatively mild terrain, an Alltrax DCX400 controller with matching solenoid and 4Ga (or heavier) cables would probably suffice.

If your tire diameter is 23" or taller, or the terrain is rugged, a DCX500 with compatible solenoid and 2Ga (or heavier) cables would be better.

Does the statement, "Has been charged for two days", mean that the charger has been connected for two days, or that two days have elapsed since the batteries were charged?
(Unless you have a manual charger, or an automatic charger that goes into a float charge mode after normal charge cycle, that's a trick question. )
In either case, if the cart is used, it ought to be put on charge that night.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller is going into thermal shutdown. It runs again when the temperature drops. You need an aftermarket controller and HD solenoid combo like the pkg#505 for DCS carts see here > http://cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

It will help if you upgrade the cables to 4g when you make the controller upgrade.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO