lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up 2009 ezgo txt charger/battery issue

Hi guys,brand new here. I did do a search but didn't really come up with anything I haven't tried yet,so here goes. I have a 2009 ezgo txt 36 volt series. A month or so ago I was having issues getting the charger to start charging. After zero help from the dealer I bought it from I came to the conclusion it was the charging loom fuse. I took the old one off hooked it direct and it charged. Perfect. Bought a new one.Everything is fine. My kids ran the cart down so low last week it was "sputtering" Needless to say Ill be glad when school starts. pulled out the 12 volt charger and got some juice back in them so charger would start. I have two powerwise qe chargers. The one charger I normally use starts and green light blinks as is should indicating its charging then after a minute or two it clicks goes to a solid green light and shuts off, so next I decide to clean all battery terminals and apply a new coat of protect-all. In doing this I realized I never installed the new fuse so I did,tried charger again with same result. I then tried my second charger to see what would do and it wont start at all and flashes the two quick red flashes which means a fault. The batts are at this point 6.1 - 6.2 volts. The whole pack is at 36.8 at the batteries and at the charging terminal. Sorry for the lengthy post,just trying to me as specific as possible.

Thanks,Isaac
ijakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 ezgo txt charger/battery issue

Welcome to BGW!

The chargers work normally with or without a fuse in series with the charging loop, so some cart owners have been known to leave them out.

I'd try cleaning the Auxiliary contact in the charger's plug and the outside of the Negative Radsok in the cart's charger receptacle.
Contact between those two is how the charger sense what the pack voltage is.

Also, measure the on-charge voltage of the individual batteries.
One or more may have been damaged by the deep, deep discharge.
The bad batteries will have a considerably higher on-charge voltage than the rest of the pack.

If you have a neighbor/friend with a 36V cart, your chargers on his cart and his charger on your cart.

If it turns out that you have two defective QE chargers, which is a distinct possibility, I would go with a 36V DPI charger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply! I will try this in the morning. I tried checking the voltage on charge but the charger won't stay on long enough for me to check it.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijakers View Post
Thanks for the reply! I will try this in the morning. I tried checking the voltage on charge but the charger won't stay on long enough for me to check it.
Try charging them in pairs with a 12V automotive type charger.
Let them charge for about half an hour before measuring the on-charge voltage.
That should be enough time for significant voltage differences to appear, if they exist.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

On charge voltage ranges from 6.4 - 6.5 volts after 30 min. charge on each pair.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A 0.1V spread isn't waving any red flags, so try switching carts and chargers.
If the problem stays with the cart, something is amiss in the charging loop.
If the problem stays with the charger(s), something is wrong with it(them).
Old 07-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I finally got around to checking chargers on a friends cart and the charger that was flashing red on my cart is flashing red on his cart,so guess that one is bad. The other charger worked fine on his cart so i guess its a problem with my cart somewhere. I cleaned the terminals on cart and charger and still same result. I disconnected everything from batteries and reconnected just charging loop and nothing. reconnected everything and suddenly SOC meter is reading full. I also noticed that when the charger is first plugged into the cart and not into an electrical outlet the charger flashes red and green to solid red for a second or two the off. maybe this is normal and just never noticed it before.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
ijakers
Not Yet Wild

Well I think I solved my own problem. I have been charging my cart using an extension cord for convenience and I tried plugging it into the outlet directly and the charger started working. Go figure. I have been using a cord for three years now without issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO