lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
CJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Wheel and tire question

This is my first cart. I bought a 2009 ezgo rxv. I had the speed programmed to high. It will go 20mph. I understand that the larger the wheels and tire, the faster it will go. My question is what's the largest I can put on the cart? It's not lifted. Thanks in advance!
CJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wheel and tire question

Welcome to BGW!

I'm not familiar with RXVs, but wheels and tires are pretty much the same, no matter what they are attached to.

Wheel size is basically cosmetic.
Tire height is what effects the final drive ratio.

Taller tires will increase top speed, but will proportionately decrease torque.

Eyeball the clearance your current tires have with driver and passenger(s) on-board.
Measure the distance between current tire and top of wheel wells and subtract an inch or two for hard bumps.
The number of inches you get is what you can add to your current tire height.
In general terms, 20" tires is about all you can stuff under an non-lifted cart.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
CJones
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your reply johnnie! That helps a ton. I get my cart delivered tomorrow and that is my first modification I plan to do. Thanks again!
CJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A local dealer here is selling the RXV with 14" wheels sporting what I believe are 205/30x14 tires. Web based tire calculators will compute this tire as having about an 18.8" diameter but there must be some fuzzy math going on because this wheel/tire combination is considerably bigger than that. I would guess the actual diameter at between 22 and 23". In any case, these wheels fit on the cart without a lift. The dealer(salesman) claimed the cart would run 27mph so equipped. I can't verify that claim but I would be surprised if the cart ran slower than 24-25. I drove an RXV so equipped and one with standard 18" golf cart tires. Both had the speed control set at the highest allowed (about 19.6 mph). Both carts felt very strong with the big wheeled cart obviously faster and acceleration didn't appear to suffer hardly at all swinging those big wheels. This tire/wheel combination also fits on a current non-lifted Yamaha Drive but not under a non-lifted TXT.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a picture of an RXV with a 14" wheel/tire combo. This cart is not lifted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5N25T45E13E23I73Jfc6dfaaf19cafd931570.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO