lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Jbc3902
Not Yet Wild

Default Build me a great buggie

Ok I tried searching but only found some bits and pieces here or there. So let me explain, I'm bored have money to spend and am looking for a project that takes more then one night to do. So I fell upon the idea of a buggie and here I am. What I'm looking for here is your knowledge in what you would do knowing all you know now. I know I want an electric ez go, you pick the year model that you would pick if starting a new project. I want a nice lift nice tires speed and torque. At this time I'm not looking for 4x4. I'd like a few lights on a top rack and maybe a wench if I got stuck. I think I'd also like a second row of sets but do they have to face backward? Basically list off the buggie and every part you would get for it. I'll find the best price for parts and search for info on each part as far as installation and troubleshooting. I'd love specifics on model/part numbers if you got em. Also idc if we go 48v or 72v whatever y'all think is best. So give me your new build list, I'll piss the UPS man off with deliveries and lets see how the project turns out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad
Jbc3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Build me a great buggie

Hey Brad,
Welcome to BGW..... the chaos has only just begun.

I sort of understand where your coming from. When I first got here like 3 yrs ago I bought an old cart, found a list of things I liked in these babies, and got to work.... lifted it, painted it, swapped out the 8 hp engine for a 16 hp clone, modded a ton of parts on it.... and ran it hard for a couple of years.
Eventually I believe we blew the rear diff. I decided that while I had fun doing it, I wasn't into doing it again so soon. So I started hunting for carts that were done. I used a Craigslist search engine called www.allofcraigs.com & searched for terms like "lifted cart honda" or "lifted cart briggs" (I was only really interested in a gas cart). I found that there are a ton of these carts built in the SoCal / AZ area. Many of them are made to run hard in the desert.
I ended up finding a cart in the Phoenix area that met my specs. I found a wakeboard/SkySki acquaintance of mine who happened to also be into hopped up golf carts. He went out, checked out the cart, advised me on what he thought, and was basically my eyes & ears, taking cell phone pics & video. He helped me do the deal, and met the shipping carrier to load it up. A week later & less than $5k, and I had my cart. I couldn't have gotten anything like it here in the PNW. And probably couldn't have built it myself for that price either. Since then I've made some changes to the seating, roof rack, shifter, added a winch, set it up to tow a trailer, etc..... basically mods that make it work better for me.

Anyway, if you don't get any hits from prospective builders, this might be a way for you to get it done.

Good luck with the project.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Zach Jaynes
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Brad, it sounds like you and I are in just about the same boat (except I don't have money to spend-not yet HA!) But I'm liquidating a few things to try and remedy that! Anyway, it sounds like we want basically the same thing out of a cart. Below is a pic of the one I just bought that will become the foundation for my project:

It's a 2003 EZGO TXT Series cart (bone stock, but not for long!)

My tentative list of modifications are:

Upgrade to 48V- Including 500amp Alltrax controller, scottyb's F/R switch, battery cables, and state of charge meter. Will likely stick with stock motor for now and upgrade later for a few more mph.

Jakes 6" spindle lift kit

22 or 23" tires and 10" wheels (undecided on which ones yet)

Headlight kit

Custom roll cage and integrated flip flop seat, which I will design and build (I have a tubing bender, notcher, welder,etc.... from my race car building days)

My cart will be primarily used for hunting, working on the farm, and trailriding with my wife and two little boys. Rather than go with the typical camo theme that most hunting buggies have, I plan to go with a "murdered out" theme. ALL BLACK. I am going to finish the entire body and cage with flat black Herculiner or similar truck bed coating. Looks VERY mean, and should be tough as nails. Seat covers will all be black as well. I also plan to install seatbelts on the flip flop seat to keep my boys safe when we are trailriding.It sounds like we will both have a lot of fun with our projects. Maybe we can keep this thread going with build photos along the way. I plan to start on mine hard and heavy in about a month. I am pretty tied up until then.
Zach Jaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

Do this

ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
brad2388
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Now thats a big block! Lol
brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you want to buy my cart and swap the utility bed for a rear seat.

If you want forward facing rear seats, you're looking for a limo. For everything else you listed, you want a series cart.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Jbc3902
Not Yet Wild

Ok, headed out this afternoon to look at a very similar txt series cart. Question is if i was going to just go ahead and replace the motor to upgrade I'd be looking at_______________?

Also I think after looking at the rear facing seats that fold back to make a bed I think that is the way I'm going to go.

Also Zach you said your looking to go with a 500 amp controller I've been doing some reading on 700 amp i thought, pros/cons?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Jbc3902
Not Yet Wild

O yea one more thing if I'm looking for a 2000+ Electric Ezgo TXT, any idea on a decent price i should pay for like a stock cart?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've seen a couple of pretty creative cages with forward facing rear seats. Seems like you'd really have to beef up the rear suspension. And it would still be a little light in the front if you had a couple of adults back there. Not sure there is much foot room either.

That said, I built a flip seat & integrated it into the cage on my cart. Works great..... especially since I only use it as a seat for passengers occasionally.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The motor is the last upgrade you make. You won't see much improvement from your $5-600 custom motor on stock electrics. Buy a cart with dead or missing batteries. Odds are if the cart is a decent price they are nearly junk anyway. Might as well have new ones that you know have been broken in properly and maintained regularly. Less than $750 needing new batteries in the near future. Maybe as high as $1,500 with good (70%+) batteries for a base model cart. My brother -in-law bought an 09 PDS last year needing batteries for less than $900. It still runs a little while, but nowhere near the range or power mine has.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO