lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Kiheiezgo96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help with 08 ezgo.. Runs slow

Sorry guys.. Just went to confirm again on the beeping on a slope and it did it now!.. After that it went regular speed!.. Don't no what else to change? Now I guess its an intermittent problem... Any other suggestions?
Kiheiezgo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It comes as an assembly. I would see if you could borrow one first to see if that is your issue. If so, then put a want add in the Parts section here. I'm sure someone has one after an upgrade.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Hope I didn't step on toes..
No toes were stepped on that I know of.
The "Roll-Test" you suggested proved the sensor wasn't talking to the controller, so either the sensor was bad or the controller was bad and it was a different controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Kiheiezgo96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

"kgsc" ... I'm confused.. I was looking on eBay and I found one that says speed sensor but it's just a magnet..and another one say speed sensor also but it's a wire with a plug? Which one will I need?.. Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Without actually being "Hands-On", I doubt anyone here can answer your question since the problem could be either the disk with 8 precisely placed magnets on it that attaches to the motor shaft, or the disk with a magnet sensor that is held in close proximity to the magnet disk and sends out a pulse every time one of the magnets passes by it, or neither of them, or both of them, or the wiring, or the connectors, or how they are physically attached.

What constitutes the speed sensor assembly is circled in Red on the attached.
Some of the possible problems could be:
1. The screw fastening the magnet disk to motor shaft could be loose.
2. One or both of the retaining rings holding the magnet sensor in close proximity to the magnet disk might have jumped out of its groove.
3. Broken wires.
4. Dirty connections.
5. The magnets have been demagnetized, or physically damaged.
6. The Hall Effect multiplier has failed.

The most likely suspect is item 29 on the parts list, but first, I'd make sure everything is properly attached and in the proper position and all the wires and connections are good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speed Sensor-1.JPG (42.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Speed Sensor-2.JPG (89.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
Kiheiezgo96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

"JohnnieB" thanks so much for breaking it down for me! ..the diagram really helps!... If the speed sensor is bad could it be an intermittent problem?..or if it's bad, it's bad?..sorry to ask so many questions, the only reason im asking is now its running like a champ and I didn't to anything to it!! Does that make any sense? ... Now im wondering if i should even try to touch it again?Thanks for all your quick replies!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Before you buy anything, I would do what JohnnieB suggested and make sure everything is in good shape. Switch cart to tow.. Then I would pull the sensor out using a set of snap ring pliers, make sure the screw in the end of the magnet is tight. Inspect the sensor and make sure it is in good shape. Put it back in. Now chase the wires all the way back to the controller and especially where it rides on the frame looking for damaged wires. Unplug it from the controller and make sure that connection is clean. Hook it back up and cover it all back up. Flip back to Run and see what happens.

OR just buy an Alltrax controller and these silly speed sensor problems go away..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #18
Kiheiezgo96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks will try it 2morrow or wednesday when im off.. Will get back to u on what happens ... Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiheiezgo96 View Post
.............now its running like a champ and I didn't to anything to it!! Does that make any sense? ... Now im wondering if i should even try to touch it again?...................
Self resolving problems have been known to cause people to view the world through funny looking goggles, wear tinfoil hats and put their fingers in their ears.

Yes, they make sense, but only after the cause is discovered.
Yes, you should touch it again. Otherwise, it may misbehave again, and if it does, it will most likely do it at the most inopportune time.

Because it is intermittent and failure of the magnet disk or the sensor disk are likely to be hard failures, I suspect the wires and connections, or physical mountings.
Making things more difficult to troubleshoot is the fact it is a dynamic system and only works while the motor is turning.

I'd first visually inspect every inch of all three wires for kinks and/or damaged insulation, then make sure the screw holding the magnet disk on the motor shaft is tight and the retaining rings holding the sensor dick in place are in their grooves.

Then I would lift the rear wheels off the ground, place jack-stands under the axles and have someone hold the throttle at about half speed while I tugged gently on each of the three wires individually at both ends. The Molex plug/jack at the controller is open to air and the most susceptible to corrosion (the invisible type), so check/clean it thoroughly.

Block the cart so it cannot move unexpectedly and don't run the motor full throttle, or at half throttle very long, but you should hear a change in the sound when/if the controller looses the motor RPM signal.

If you don't find an obvious problem and it doesn't fail while wiggling the wires, it was probably some corrosion on the open air Molex connections at the controller and you are probably good to go.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
Kiheiezgo96
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB will check it 2morrow and let you know how it goes!

Tags
controller problem, speed sensor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO