lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need help changing F/R switch

In a previous post, you said if the diode is salvageable it can be reused, what does the existing diode look like? I can swing by RadioShack and pick up a new one, but just trying to learn the existing system while I'm in the process. Trying to learn everything I can while I'm at it. Thanks again for your help.
macrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I dug a bit deeper and found that there are Two flavors of F/R assemblies used in DCS carts.
One has a Diode and the other does not.

From the way you described the how the microswitches worked on yours (One closed in F and both closed in R), you've got the type that does not have a diode.

Pick one up at Radio Shack. Two or three amps, about 100V or so.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB. I'll go by there tomorrow and try to get it installed on Sunday and let you know how it works out. Doubt I'll have time with football tomorrow. Roll Tide.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I tried a Zener diode because RadioShack didn't have any steering diodes. It didn't work, it ran both forward and reverse circuits as reverse, so the diode was either backwards or the diode is staying closed and keeping both circuits open all the time... so I'm back to the drawing board. Ran out of time today to get any further. Will try a little more tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrain13 View Post
Well I tried a Zener diode because RadioShack didn't have any steering diodes. It didn't work, it ran both forward and reverse circuits as reverse, so the diode was either backwards or the diode is staying closed and keeping both circuits open all the time... so I'm back to the drawing board. Ran out of time today to get any further. Will try a little more tomorrow.
Zener diode won't work. They conduct in both directions. Just like a regular diode when forward biased, and at the breakdown voltage in the other.

A steering diode isn't a type of diode, it is what a regular diode that is used to "steer' current is called.

A 1N4001 or similar should work. Any regular diode that can handle over 36V and pass an amp or so of current will work.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Grab the diode off of your solenoid and replace it as soon as you can ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys... I have learned more on this forum than 5 years of college. Probably why I was in college for 5 years.

I'll try again and post results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO