lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Trip
Not Yet Wild

Default LED Battery Meter Hookup

Hello

I just recently purchased an LED battery meter. I saw a few members saying good things about them in another thread.

Its a 2 wire LED, there is a black and a red wire coming from the back of the LED meter. I have hooked these wires to the respective posts on the battery and all is well.

The car is a 1994 36 V Ezgo, the meter is showing 37.2 V under no load. And all wires are brand new that I ran from the ignition area to the battery compartment area.

What I would like to do is hook this meter up the the ignition wiring so that the meter is not running 24/7 is this possible.

If so is it as simple as hooking the wire up to either the Blue or Green wire on the back of the ignition cylinder. Or do I have to mount a switch between the positve wire after the battery.

Sorry for the long post, just like telling the details.

Thanks
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: LED Battery Meter Hookup

Trip, with a multimeter determine which terminal of your keyswitch becomes hot when you turn the key on. Hook the red wire to this terminal and leave the black wire hooked to the main pack negative. It will switch the meter on when you turn the key.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Trip
Not Yet Wild

Thats perfect,

Thank you
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I hooked neg to battery, and the pos to the F&R switch, so it will only come on when in forward or reverse.
redfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Trip
Not Yet Wild

That sounds easier, been trying to figure out which wire off the key switch is the positive, Blue or Green.

Is the positive on the F a R pretty simple to find, I ran all the wire to the battery area already just looking for the easiest to get power but keep the LED off
Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking into the cart from the passenger side, It was the far bottom terminal on mine. Just touch the pos wire to one until it lights up. Let us know if you get it going.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
That sounds easier, been trying to figure out which wire off the key switch is the positive, Blue or Green.
Hook your DMM black probe to the main pack negative, and touch each keyswitch terminal with the red probe (with the key in the OFF position). One of them will give you a reading, the other one won't. Connect your red digital meter wire to the keyswitch terminal that gives no reading. When you turn the key, the digital meter will turn on.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Is the positive on the F a R pretty simple to find, I ran all the wire to the battery area already just looking for the easiest to get power but keep the LED off
Green wire.

Blue wire feeds keyswitch and will be hot when F/R is in F or R.
Green wire is output of keyswitch and will be hot when F/R is in F or R AND keyswitch is ON.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine comes on when I put it in forward of reverse. I kinda like just being able to put it in gear and check the voltage, without having to go get the key.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ezgo wired their meters that way for years Red.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO