lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #21
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is it ok to charge 2 6v's at a time

Picture 542.jpg
Under seat battery pack

Picture 534.jpg
Where the heck does this go?

Picture 532.jpg
This was like this when I bought the cart?? I took it off

Picture 538.jpg
Is it ok to leave the hairy ring connector for now?

Picture 535.jpg
Where the heck does this go? same as pic 2
GrannyGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here are some drawings that may help answer some of your questions.

As for the "Hairy" connection. It looks like someone had put a bare wire under the nut and tightened and the wire has now broken off. I'd remove the "Hair" to get better contact with the rings terminal and nut.

The loose wire shown in pics 2 & 5 might have been for a 12V tap on the battery pack. To find out for sure, trace it and find out where the other end ends up at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-resistor-wiring.jpg (202.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - Marathon - Edited.JPG (32.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - Marathon - 12V Charger.JPG (39.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic.JPG (87.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: Is it ok to charge 2 6v's at a time

Thanks JB I will check it out tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #24
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: Is it ok to charge 2 6v's at a time

So I traced the loose wire to the key switch and it goes to a a little connection on the back of the board just to the right of it. In your first drawing on your previous post it is MS2? Any idea what it does cause the cart runs without it being connected. I have not connected it yet but will tomorrow.

Last edited by GrannyGoneWild; 09-16-2012 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: adding info
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Granny, your cart needs new battery cables desperately. The ones on there are NOT suitable for a golf cart, they are flimsy automotive cables from Walmart or such. And, that back left battery with the large lugs belongs in an old tractor.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good Eye Gman. That tractor battery needs to be replaced with another GC battery like the rest. It will hurt the other batteries in terms of not pulling it's share of the load and it won't last long because it is not made for the deep discharge of running a DC vehicle.

FYI = when try to jump start a GC charger put your 12v charger on and then when the pack gets up around 24v try the GC charger. If the GC charger starts remove the 12v charge... this can be done PDQ with the use of 2 12v automotive type chargers... one on each end of the pack.

You need a hand held multi-meter.....even a $7 HF model is better than nothing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGoneWild View Post
So I traced the loose wire to the key switch and it goes to a a little connection on the back of the board just to the right of it. In your first drawing on your previous post it is MS2? Any idea what it does cause the cart runs without it being connected. I have not connected it yet but will tomorrow.
to what Scotty and Gorno said.

The main contacts of the solenoid connects the battery pack to the motor and three things are supposed to happen before that happens.
1. Key switch has to be ON.
2. F/R selector has to be in either F or R. (MS-2)
3. Throttle pedal has to be depressed. (MS-3)

The key switch simply keeps the cart from being used when you don't want it to being used.
MS-2 protects the F/R switch contacts by not allowing battery to be connected unless they are in one of two operating positions.
MS-3 is the final link in the series chain that tells the cart to go.

MS-2 may have been bypassed by a previous owner. The cart will run that way, but you'll damage the F/R switch contacts if you shift while they are live.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #28
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks gentlemen, I will work on the issues to resolve and keep you posted on the progress. Little peice if trivia. I worked for Textron Aerospace Fasteners in Santa Ana CA for 18 years. When I started there back in 1984 the EZGO plant was a part of our facility we provided many fof the fasteners and shared common resources. There were two special carts housed at our facility the Angels and Rams Golf carts. We would drive them over to the stadium when ever there was a game. They were both totally custom. Not sure if you ever saw them but they were very cool. There are still many ezgo's at the facility used for all kinds of crazy stuff. EZGO moved to Corona CA but the fastener facility Cherry Rivet still resides in Santa Ana CA but is no longer owned by Textron.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #29
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Question Re: Is it ok to charge 2 6v's at a time

I was just re-reading ScottieB's post and have a question. When I plug the GC charger in to the cart and turn it to start it clicks and makes a humming sound but is reading zero on the meter? Is it working or not? Since it was reading zero I unpluged and went back to trickle charging until I can get the pack voltage up. And I do have a meter now.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #30
GrannyGoneWild
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Re: Is it ok to charge 2 6v's at a time

I have had the batteries on charge for several days and here's what I have. 5 of the batteries read 6.23 to 6.66 the last one "tractor battery" reads 3.23. hummm ya think i need to get rid of the tractor battery? I like the DMM make life much simpler! Thanks guys!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO