lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 Marathon stock cart speed

Hey guys, I have one question that I haven't been able to locate by google search. And that is how fast is a stock cart supposed to be? After reading alot of the posts here and elsewhere, I think that may not be a question that can be answered with a direct speed, but maybe. ( like I siad in intro's I'm new to the cart world) What little I was able to ride mine before coming to work, I was only going 8-10 mph according to my hand held GPS. My neighbors all have carts and they vary in speed, but all was faster than mine. By quite a bit actually, and they have stock carts as well. When I return home, I will clean all contacts, check cables throughly, check all batteries and give it a once over, but I was thinking it should be at least 10-12mph. What is your thoughts?
red848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon stock cart speed

I would think 10-12 is common, but so much can slow it down. hubs, brakes, tire pressure, batteries, top vs no top, metal cart vs plastic, backseat, windshield..............
Can you easily push it?
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it pushes easily. I'll just have to wait to get home and start cleaning and serviceing and then I can get elect readings and such to fire out to the Guru's and let them help me out. Heck it might be short between steering wheel and seat. At least I know once I get everything checked out and it's still "slow" then I will know, or think something is wrong.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Do you have a resistor cart or a controller?

When you are racing at 8 MPH and someone has 10 MPH the 2 MPH difference will definitely be noticeable.

The questions you are asking are going to cost you money. Just like stock car racing. Every MPH addition will cost you something somewhere.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is a way to determine if you are getting all you can get out of your batteries, cables, solenoid, F/R switch and connections.

Attach a DVM between main positive and main negative terminals on battery pack.
Note what the pack voltage is when running at top speed on level ground.
Then attach DVM leads between M- and B+ terminals on controller and note voltage there when flat out on same stretch of road.

If the voltage between M- and B+ on controller is less that what the battery pack voltage was under the same load, you are loosing voltage in the high current circuit that ought to be going to motor.

If you can lay your hands on two DVMs, you can make the comparison in real time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Gonkular, I'm pretty sure it's a resistor cart, but Like I said I only had it 3 days before returning to work and I won't be back home until a few more weeks. I so wish I was home piddling with it, but I have to be here to make enough moeny to piddle.
LOL Yes your are correct about dollars and speed, more money more speed. **** the luck!! But I do think that I might be missing some "stock" speed for some reason, seeing that it runs about 8-9 mph on flat level ground. If I can convince my wife that we need to fastest cart in the hood, then I may be overhaulin this babe and then looking for "title for title races" LMAO. I'll just have to make sure my cooler is not with me so I don't get to much of that liquid courage in me.
JohnnieB thanks for your input, I'll have to recheck this thread once I get home and start service and inspection of the ol girl. It may very well be bad wires, connections and such. I bought the cart as a "fixer up" so I figure something is amiss for not going any faster than what it is. Looks like you have a good bit of knowledge with carts by looking at the forums, so I may be hitting you up for some techno Q&A along the way. I can work on just about any street rod, but this electric stuff kinds of looses me, or scares me.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Resistor? Oy vey! Well? We will see what more you can come up with when you get back. Good luck on selling the wife on needing the baddest arse cart
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Go to the stickies and download the Owner's, Parts, and Service manuals.

If it turns out you have a controller cart, and if you tried JohnnyB's test above and it's not getting full power, try adjusting the pot box or ITS, depending on which one you have. Mine had an ITS, and adjusting it gave me a little more speed, as the controller was never being told to go 100%.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO