lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Solenoid getting way to hot!

Fried the first one!

Put a new one on, insane price on amazon $15 free shipping.(it was the last one)
Amazon.com: 36 Volt Heavy Duty 4 Terminal Continuous Duty Solenoid Relay 3180M: Automotive Amazon.com: 36 Volt Heavy Duty 4 Terminal Continuous Duty Solenoid Relay 3180M: Automotive

The solenoid is too hot to keep my finger on it and both big posts are almost as hot as the drum part. Is this a cheap solenoid problem or could it be elsewhere. I don't mind going for Scotty's hd solenoid if this is the problem. Thanks in advance!
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid getting way to hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taykol View Post
Fried the first one!

Put a new one on, insane price on amazon $15 free shipping.(it was the last one)
Amazon.com: 36 Volt Heavy Duty 4 Terminal Continuous Duty Solenoid Relay 3180M: Automotive

The solenoid is too hot to keep my finger on it and both big posts are almost as hot as the drum part. Is this a cheap solenoid problem or could it be elsewhere. I don't mind going for Scotty's hd solenoid if this is the problem. Thanks in advance!
Are your cables hot too? If so you may have a motor problem, oversize tires will cause this too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

The other cables didn't feel hot. There are no upgrades in sight, controller/tires(assuming no motor). When I put the new batteries in I did upgrade the cables. It's surprising that the stock or replacement solenoid would overheat just cruising on the street with just thicker cables. I'm concerned if I upgrade solenoid the heat will go to the controller.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The controller regulates what would otherwise be unlimited amperage flowing from the battery pack to the motor.
The solenoid is the switch for the + side of the pack.... all the amperage to the controller and motor must go through the solenoid.
You can not use the solenoid as a restriction device or you will get heat. Lots of it. It would appear this is what is happening..... those stock solenoids you got there are 50-70 amp devices.
Get a HD 200 amp 36v solenoid and be done with it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Box one up for me please sir. Send it to the other side of the country, Homestead Florida. You open Saturday?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I could send one out 2-3 day mail Saturday....
Shoot me an email and we will get er done.

scottyb@cartsunlimited.net
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Yes get Scotties. Solenoids might all look the same but there is a huge difference between regular duty ones and constant duty ones. My guess is that you have a regular duty type that is made for scheduled on and off type of work. Golf carts need the constant duty type of solenoid. The constant duty types are made much beefier internally so they won't heat up so bad.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I melted two stock solenoids before upgrading. It's apparently the weakest link, even with stock controllers, tires, cables, etc. Remember, a golf cart was meant to drive relatively short distances on a relatively tame course.

I followed ScottyB's advise and upgraded, and it never caused me any more problems, until I got the 48 volt bug. Now it sits in a parts bin.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ordered.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Update: New HD solenoid from ScottyB. Awesome performance. Have been on hour plus straight driving and it is barely warm. Very enjoyable using site sponsors.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO