lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
NickCKDrifter
Not Yet Wild

Default Initial Charge Current after Use

I have a 2006 EZ-GO TXT which I bought new. The Trojan batteries gave out after 4 years. I replaced with Sam's Interstate golf cart batteries. After replacement, I noticed the initial charge rate (after a round of golf) was only 10 amps. The Interstate batteries only lasted 26 months. I just replaced with new Trojans (my dealer said the Interstate batteries were inferior to Trojans).
Still, the initial charge,after use, rate is only 10 amps. I fear my charger is defective causing my batteries to go bad prematurely. (My 2000 model EZ-GO PDS cart always charges initially at 20 amps.)
Is an initial charge rate, after a round of golf, of 10 amps ok? Or, should it be 20 amps?
Thank you very much for help to my question.
Nick
NickCKDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Initial Charge Current after Use

Basically the difference between a 20A charge and a 10A charge is how long it takes to charge the batteries, however, if the initial charge rate on the 2006 TXT was 20A before the original batteries were replaced and only 10A afterwards and is still that way on a third set of batteries, something is wrong.

Offhand, I'm guessing there is excessive resistance in the charger loop inside cart, causing the charger to see an erroneously high voltage across the battery pack and shutting the charger off before the batteries are fully charged. That would kill batteries quickly.

-----------------
If possible, try the 2000 charger on the 2006 cart and the 2006 charger on the 2000 cart.

If both chargers put out 20A initially on the 2006 and only 10A on the 2000, the problem is in the 2000 cart's charging loop.

----------------

What is the battery pack voltage about 12 hours after the charger shuts off?
It should be 38.2V for a 36V battery pack.

----------
What chargers do you have?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO