lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
upnort
Not Yet Wild

Default 2 ga, 4ga cables

Still putting my list of things I need to get for my hunting buggy build. Got a few things on hand all ready. Got lift kit, tires and rims, and voltage reducer for lites and acc.
Next things to look at is cables, f&r switch, and solenoid for now.
My question after researching cables is: Some sets on varies sites have 13 cables. And others, including scottyb, say 14 for a 95' 36v txt series cart. Which is correct? I don't have the cart here at home. So have not had a chance to look under the hood closely yet.
If it matters I am planing on staying with 36volt for now (until need new battery pack) and using the stock controller and motor until budget allows.

Also, how hard is it to do your own cables? Seems crimping and soldering isn't to difficult to do. How many feet total does it take?
Sorry for the newbie questions. Thx!
upnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2 ga, 4ga cables

I remember somebody on here said 30ft for most carts and some people can get by with 25. I was gonna make mine but I took the easy way out and bought them. Maybe somebody that actually made some will chime in.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

25' should be way more than enough if you are custom cutting each cable for it's real needed length and not making generic cables with unneeded slack (on my club car it would be anyway). That said, it probably depends mostly on how many you mess up during the crimp/solder process. :)
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
NBeat
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I'm pretty new to the forum, not sure how to post a link to another thread, but search for "Battery Cable Lengths" and you should find a few that list lengths and counts for a few different carts. I recently replaced my stock cables with 2 gauge cables that I made myself. Making them was a breeze; just make sure to get a high strand count and noncorrosive terminal lugs. The rest is technique and practice.
NBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
NBeat
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Here's some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121204-00005.jpg (259.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121208-00006.jpg (145.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121208-00007.jpg (139.7 KB, 0 views)
NBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Good job NBeat.

upnort, I made my first set with 25 feet. The last set I have I got from ScottyB. I made the measurements and sent them to him. His are great stuff and I recommend his.

If you do make your own cables please do yourself a favor and use welding cable. The welding cable has a higher strand count and is a lot easier to make tighter bend radius's.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Number of cables on series TXT depends if the controller has an A2 terminal or not.
If it has A2 terminal, it has 14 cables.
No A2 terminal has 13 cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
mack Courtney
Not Yet Wild

Been ther done that, went to 4 Ga. from 6Ga. Unless you really hav a lot of time and want to burn a bottle or two of propane and make a bunch of cuts, and remember to use enough welding cable to allow you to go around the vent plugs etc. order the blooming cables, you won't save much money and time is gone forever......then remove a cable and match it for length, clean the terminal ends and replace them one at a time. That way if you need a ride in the cart, it will be usable all the time.
mack Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
upnort
Not Yet Wild

After doing some more searching, pricing ect... plus figuring time, and everything else needed to complete the job. Looks like it would make more sense to just buy them pre-made. Thanks all for your help!
upnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO