lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default changing crank seals, first timer 88 Marathon

Through process of elimination, looks like i will be changing the crank seals out in my 88 marathon, the cart had a lot of little issues and with the help from this forum and all the great folks willing to help, i have got it OH SO close but i still am having problems any way long story short...I ordered the seals today . Just how big of a job is it? I would consider myself kind of mechanically inclined. Ive read multiple forums on the subject im expecting some problems but maybe just knowing i will have help when needed or what direction to start in. i will be gathering the tools ive read i will need and start taking some pics to refer back too. seems like its more of a tedious thing than cost thing just dont want to cost myself time or money making stupid mistakes. thanks again
Dmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: changing crank seals, first timer 88 Marathon

Plenty of help here as you know. First step is to remove the engine you may want to do this now while waiting on your seals. After it's removed you'll remove the drive clutch not bad most times but an air impact will make the job easer. We can explain the parts you'll need to make your own puller. Then remove the fan cover on the other side. You'll have to remove the flywheel and pulser on that side again we can explain what you'll need for a puller. I say at this point REMOVE THE ENGINE take your time. I leave the s/g hooked up to the wires and remove it from the engine and place it out of the way. DISCONNECT the battery first. Remove the exhaust from the engine and get it out of the way. Remove the lower bolt on the spark plug or head side and loosen the 2 top bolts as they sit in a slotted mount. Same on the passenger side there are 4 bolts. Remove the 2 lower bolts and loosen the 2 upper. Don't forget to disconnect the pulser wire plug and drive belt now it will lift out. If it still has the oil pump connected you'll also have to disconnect the oil line from the tank to the engine. LETS get started your on the clock

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

ok the engine is out...its on the bench, sprayed clutch and letting it soak. it was pretty simple but what i found was that all the Head bolts were loose one wasnt even hand tight!! I cant believe it ran at all much less as good as it did! The studded head bolts are all ther but only 2 of the outer bolts on one side and 3 on the other one was hanging by 2 or 3 threads. whats size are these bolts? should i take the head bolts out one by one and lock tight them?if so should i use red or blue? As of now im down to the clutch and fan housing thought that was a good stopping point. the cylinder looked to be pretty new the previous owner had a shade tree mech to put a head gasket on it(explains the loose bolts) what i can see of the piston and rings are good as well, the seal behind the clutch IS leaking!! so maybe i can get this thing going soon..YOU GUYS REALLY DO KNOW YOUR STUFF WHEN IT COMES TO THESE THINGS!! SO I WILL BE PATIENTLY WAITING FOR MORE KNOWLEDGE LOL. i really cant afford to put any more $ into this thing so what i have i have to make work, other than bolts and such. oh yeah one more thing i cant feel any play what so ever in the shaft, read that was how to check the crank bearings so i should be good in the lower end right? it was ran very little, no more than a few times around the yard so and up driveway so i dont think any damage happened due to the loose head bolts
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The previous owner bought it at an estate auction and only replaced the head gasket so the newer top end was replaced by someone other than him. I went ahead and removed the fan housing and sprayed that side to soak as well, the wife says enough for tonight so I guess I'm done for the night lol
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Ok the loose or missing bolts are the motor mount bolts yes ? I'll check this out in the am for you. As for the head bolts I've never used any Loctite on the just torque them to 20-22 ft. lbs. and it should be good. If you elect to Loctite the be sure to use blue if you ever want to remove them in the future. I may add be sure to also check the 4 cylinder base nuts as they have been known to loosen up after a bit. Torque 24-28 ft. lbs. Now remove the center bolt on the clutch side and you'll also have a large flat washer some times that stays in place when you remove the bolt don't be fooled remove it also. Now you'll see a hole in the center that is 3/4" dia. You'll need a piece of 1/2" or 5/8 rod some has used a 3" 3/8 drive extension & a fine thread 3/4"X2" bolt place the rod in the hole put a bit of lube on the bolt and screw it in the hole. This is where the impact comes in to play. Tighten the bolt and off pops the clutch. By hand it's a monster. The flywheel you'll see 2 holes are there may be 2 Phillips screws to remove to protect the threads across from each other about 2" apart that's where your puller bolts are going to be used with your puller ie. steering wheel puller. I believe there 6mm and they will have to be 3" long. You get the picture ? DON'T PRY on the flywheel it will break and now were in to $$$$ check back with questions then we'll move on to the pulsar remove ok. LOU
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok will do, will be this afternoon before I can get out to the hardware store. Thanks for the help so far!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Take one of the screws with you removed from the flywheel and find the proper nut to fit then get your 3" long bolts for your puller. Best way to find thread size. You may also take one of the motor mount bolts with you and find your replacements. Same length & lock washers for all. Have a great NEW YEAR!!!

LOU
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I had some things come up and didnt get to work on the cart today. I will swing by the HW store tomorrow after work. The seals should be here Thursday or Friday ,so i should have it tore down by then. I checked the base bolts they look to be good and tight with no leaks. From what Ive heard an extra day soaking isnt gonna hurt anything lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Dmontgomery
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I'm having all kinds of problems, I can't find a bolt to pull the clutch, I got a steering wheel puller and cannot budge the fan I've got it under pressure now and I've been spraying it. The puller bolt is as tight as I can get it. I guess I didn't expect it to fall off but what to do now?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
rib33024

any pic of what you got going on?? what are you spraying on it?? WD40 will not work,, all you can do is keep tighten it every once and a while, it has been known to take days to come off.

here's another way

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...oval-tool.html

or you need one of these https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...w=1016&bih=610
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO