lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
KRSD08
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Marathon GX444 Clutch Replacement

All,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would use your expertise in giving me a few pointers on replacing a clutch on a 1988 Marathon gas cart. At least I think it's the clutch. I've posted pictures below. Any special tools or tips needed for this replacement? My wife was driving the cart and it began to lose power, smoke, and finally quit on her. You'll notice the housing is slightly melted due to the heat. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (194.9 KB, 0 views)
KRSD08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1988 Marathon GX444 Clutch Replacement

Welcome to BGW Todd. Remove the cover and you'll find a bolt in the middle of the clutch. Remove it and the washer the clutch is on a splined shaft and may be stuck a bit use PB blaster or such and lube the shaft then you may just slide it off or you may have to persuade it from the back side with a piece of 2X2 about 12" long and a big hammer working it from side to side and off it will come. Of course you'll have to roll the belt off first and I would put it on jack stands for safety I would also disconnect 1 of the battery cables for a just in case You may also want to remove the governor Simple just remove the arm and your good to go. Just pay attention to rpms but you'll get a bit more speed if needed.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I would be tempted to have another look at your problem first as I cannot imagine an issue with the clutch per se that would cause it to overheat to the point of melting. Problems that do occur are engine mounts so worn that under load the engine brushes the rotating clutch cover and governor arms set badly to cause interference (this would cause the governor to operate too early and reduce power).

Why don't you jack up the back wheels and with the seat and the rear cover removed observe the operation of the clutches. As engine revs increase they should both move smoothly in opposite directions. Have a look at the driven clutch and see if anything is snagging.

If everything looks good under no load it is possible that the drive belt is worn. This would cause it to slip under load and the friction create smoke. As the belt wears on the edges just measure it, it should be 1 and 3/16ths wide, if it is down to 1 and 1/16 or less it is time for a new belt.

Good luck

Dave

I
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
KRSD08
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate the input! I'll go ahead and give these pointers a try and let you guys know what I find.

Todd
KRSD08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO