lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
m.ryansmith7272
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default To buy a cart already fixed up or to fix up an older model

Hello everyone, I have joined this site to refer to the most knowledgeable source of cart enthusiasts on the web.

I want to have my own golf cart instead of constantly being overcharged to rent one at the club near my home. That said, at this point I have 2 options:
1. Purchase a cart that is already modified and obviously pay for the convenience factor associated with this option. OR
2. I have an older (likley late 90's) electric EZ Go that can start but can't hold a charge and needs new tires and cosmetic upgrades. This is mine now as it was my father in laws prior to his passing. Assuming I would have to have the motor and batteries replaced with hopes that this would allow the cart to operate at an acceptable speed, I feel like this would be the better option.
I want to keep the overall project cost under $2500 if possible. My priorities for this cart would be reliability, speed, clean paint (uncle has a paint shop and will allow me to use his facility), lights, and new wheels and tires.
Does this sound possible?

Thanks in advance!
m.ryansmith7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
jay_in_cgohio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It is very possible and building is half the fun. Once you start looking at prices if pre built carts you will see your budget does not go far and no matter what you buy already built it is not going to have everything you want. Just my honest opinion.
jay_in_cgohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: To buy a cart already fixed up or to fix up an older model

building it is all the fun, i would say fix up the one you have access too
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
m.ryansmith7272
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool, you guys are right. Would replacing the motor and batteries make it run like new? This cart was known for being the slowest one at the club.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
speedgolfer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

as long as you have to replace the motor you can get faster motors that are splined higher
my 98 runs with stock motor 15 MPH most carts at the golf course run 12 mph
speedgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Plug the cart's serial number in the EZGO look-up site to find out what it is.
If it is from the late 90's, it might be a DCS. so increasing speed will be fairly simple.
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Your motor is probably fine as they are pretty bulletproof. Perhaps a new set of proper batteries will wake it up a bit, so start there. We need to know which drivetrain you have (Series, DCS, PDS) and how fast you want to go.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
CRK
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would start with new batteries and power cables.
CRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY... building the cart up the way you want it is a lot of fun.. I really think the motor is in good shape. just because it was known as the slowest cart at the course, does not mean it is a bad motor.. I would get a GOOD set of batts ( do not cheap out on the batts )and 4 gauge cables. I am sure you can do this for about 700-750.00 range and then you can start looking into what changes you want to make to the cart. getting it running is the key. The guys on this site like helping folks fix/build their cart as much as they do working on them... you will enjoy it. I am sure. hope this helps... good luck... 1 more thing.. if you do not have any addictions.. you are about to have one...
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
m.ryansmith7272
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright, so I looked up the Serial number and it is a 1995 36V EZGO Medalist. After lifting the bench, the compartment where the batteries are housed appears much cleaner than I expected.

I would like the cart to be faster than the Golf Course carts, but I am not looking to drag race it. Where would you suggest I purchase all new batteries? I am very excited about getting started!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO