lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Two chargers on one circuit.

If it smells like provalone, leave it alone!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #22
DJD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Please report back if this is the case. That would be kewl!
Sorry for the delay. Never set the forum to email me when I got a response.

1. The chargers are not physically close enough to interfere with each other. One is plugged directly into the receptacle and the other is on the end of a rather thick 8' extension cord.

2. No bad smells.

3. Nothing else is wired into the circuit except a 2 bulb florescent light that lights the garage. I doubt this is causing it, but I'll try troubleshooting it.

I agree... I can't figure out why the current drops on both chargers when they both are plugged in. If it was too much current, the breaker should trip but it hasn't. The carts so far seem to be working fine. I'll post a picture of the setup and some updates after Thursday when I'm at work again.
DJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at each outlet before charging, then at the beginning of a double charge. Tell us the voltages, so we can see if it's a voltage drop thing. I'm assuming each outlet has two receptacles. If the extension cord doesn't have two or more on the end, don't fret, as both chargers seem to be exhibiting the same symptoms.

As to the extension cord, read the wire size or amperage rating, which should be stamped on either the female end or on the cable itself.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #24
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thought I'd just throw this in there. My charger is plugged into the same outlet that my washer is plugged into. When I use the charger and washer the ammeter fluctuates back and forth about 2 volts. It seems to be in time with the oscillations of the washers agitator. The only thing I can think of is that when the oscillator changes direction, the motor has to use a little more current for that instant. I have also noticed that ac line surges affect the ammeter also. Any voltage drop in line current drops my chargers output. I believe this is totally normal and doesn't mean anything's wrong!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Thought I'd just throw this in there. My charger is plugged into the same outlet that my washer is plugged into. When I use the charger and washer the ammeter fluctuates back and forth about 2 volts. It seems to be in time with the oscillations of the washers agitator. The only thing I can think of is that when the oscillator changes direction, the motor has to use a little more current for that instant. I have also noticed that ac line surges affect the ammeter also. Any voltage drop in line current drops my chargers output. I believe this is totally normal and doesn't mean anything's wrong!
Nothing wrong with the charger at least, and the AC wiring may meet minimum code requirements, but does minimum code meet the need?

I got into a disagreement with an electrical contractor when I wanted a 10/3 cable off a 20A breaker in the main breaker panel in the house ran to a pony panel in my reloading shed. He was determined to use 12/3.

I ended up getting what I wanted after I called the owner of the company and the on-site electrician got an education on the book he should have known inside and out, backwards and forwards.

FWIW: NFPA 70 (National Electric Code) calls for 12Ga on a 20A breaker, but doesn't limit it to 12GA only. That is the minimum code, but you can exceed the minimum code and use heavier gauge wiring.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Nothing wrong with the charger at least, and the AC wiring may meet minimum code requirements, but does minimum code meet the need?

I got into a disagreement with an electrical contractor when I wanted a 10/3 cable off a 20A breaker in the main breaker panel in the house ran to a pony panel in my reloading shed. He was determined to use 12/3.

I ended up getting what I wanted after I called the owner of the company and the on-site electrician got an education on the book he should have known inside and out, backwards and forwards.

FWIW: NFPA 70 (National Electric Code) calls for 12Ga on a 20A breaker, but doesn't limit it to 12GA only. That is the minimum code, but you can exceed the minimum code and use heavier gauge wiring.
Very good point John! I agree with you 100%! Just as in a cart, bigger is better! All of our wiring is ages old so the minimums may have been lower then. You've now got me curious, so I'll see what gauge wire feeds my outlet. This could get interesting!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO