lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Is my 1973 EZGO clutch a goner?

First I want to thank everyone here at BGW for making me waste a few work days ... I've been reading and digesting as much as possible since discovering this forum. I appreciate the great info that I have read thus far.

Question: What kind of clutch is this and is it repairable or a replacement possible?

Can't post pics since I'm a new member, so trying to share this via Google Plus. Just change the xttps:// to https:// in the text below. That or I'll just wait another 3 days and try to post them again.

xttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fGCcFq3o8LM/UXnTybMILkI/AAAAAAAAOXc/niGHqXWLJ1Q/w1148-h646/20130425_155802.jpg

The reason I am asking, is that the drive clutch will not engage at any RPM and just makes a clunk. I am going to try and pull it this evening, and take a peek to see if there is anything I can do to get this back up and running. The cart runs just fine and all was good until this past weekend, when my daughter said it quit working. And of course it was on the very back of the property, and recovering along with towing back home was a pain in the butt. :)

The cart is a 1973 (based on the plate):

xttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xRZC0EYiyOw/UXnTyerKF2I/AAAAAAAAOXc/m1bB0uFW_8Q/w1148-h646/20130425_155845.jpg

If there is anyway anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. We just bought a 40 acre farm, and this cart (the girls named it Willie) is a great asset. My wife who recently became disabled, uses it to get around and enjoy the outdoors and without Willie being in action, she's pretty much stuck in the house.

xttps://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TNIU5QnZwwo/UXnTyaQCCbI/AAAAAAAAOXc/Z7oJ8faZsL0/w1148-h646/20130425_155954.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Chris

P.S. - I typed my username in wrong when signing up... stupid typing in the dark... LOL Should be Saunterer.
saunteret is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is my 1973 EZGO clutch a goner?

OK, the clutch is done. I finally got it pulled off (which it actually just slid off the driveshaft) and things do not look good, at least to me.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to get this clutch repaired or if there are any complete new/rebuilt ones available, I would appreciate it.

Since I am a new member I cannot post links yet, so I'll post the whole album if anyone wants to take a gander and see what I am up against. Plus those that haven't seen the inside of a toasted clutch, here's your chance.

Copy and paste this and change this URL from xttps:// to https:// to view.

xttps://plus.google.com/photos/116144990489176902051/albums/5870956452599260897?authkey=COvcyr7NrNLgFw

Thanks in advance and I'll sing at your kid's wedding if anyone can assist. (Not that you'd actually want to hear it...)

Chris
Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
jtkaaa07
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just posted a very nice clutch for sale that I have, let me know if your interested.

Jeff
jtkaaa07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

$100 for that Comet is a deal.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is my 1986 EZGO clutch a goner?

Dang it. I missed out on the replies to this thread... I have subscribed to it, but never got the e-mail notification.

BTW, my cart is a 1986 with the Robin 2PG engine.

Anyway, just to update, I pulled the engine the other day and there is a golf cart distro center about 8 miles away and I had them pull the clutch for me.

Pic before having it pulled.

I do already have a new clutch enroute, otherwise Jeff, I would have jumped all over it. Darn it. But I did find a new OEM one for $235 and if I get another year or two of use from 'ol Willie, I guess that it is money well spent.

Anyway, since I cannot edit my previous threads, here is why my drive clutch sounded like a maraca...

I've always heard that an education is expensive no matter where you get it from, and this has been a great lesson in golf cart ownership. I've learned more about carts in the past two weeks and cannot wait for the next one or the next project.

Thanks to everyone here at BGW that has indirectly helped me out from their postings.

Here's a link to the original album if you want to check out 'ol Willie... https://plus.google.com/photos/11614...COvcyr7NrNLgFw

--Chris
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My new clutch should be here on Tuesday (5/14)...

Figured I'd have a BBQ while I'm waiting.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Those are always fun

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin161 View Post
Those are always fun

LOU
Ha! I was hoping for 3 foot flames shooting out of both ends, but only got a little smoke.

Since my new clutch is on the UPS truck out for delivery... to install it, do I just put it on the crankshaft and just torque it down? I'll do a search here since I'm sure that someone has answered this, but thought I'd ask.

My family is excited that we finally could have our cart back up and running tonight. Plus it would help my wife out greatly.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #9
racin161
Gone Wild

yep just clean the crank and bore of the clutch and install.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
saunteret
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, Lou. I have a working golf cart now. The instructions said I should torque it to about 40 lb/in, but I just snugged it up good. I might just re-check it later tonight.

Man, we are jazzed. The good thing is, during this whole exercise I found a engine mount that needed attention, a few brackets that were loose, and fixed our loud exhaust. Prior to repairing this cart, it sounded like a covered wagon travelling down the Santa Fe trail in the 1800's, and now it purrs like a kitten.

I do have a little belt squeal at mid to high RPMs, but I'm guessing it is just the new clutch and my new Dayco 3004 belt that I installed. Hopefully a few hours of driving it around the farm, the dust will roughen/deglaze everything and the belt will loosen up a bit.

Once again, thanks to all for indirectly helping me get this back together.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO