lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
JeeperEd
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-GO Charging Problem?

I have a 2000 EZ-GO TXT gas cart with the combination generator/starter, and it stopped running a while back. When pressing the gas, the starter would whine, and the negative side of the battery got really hot. Cart would not start.

After troubleshooting various parts with a DVM according to the manual (coil, igniter, etc) I was unable to come up with a definite cause.

After charging the battery (it was discharged from trying to start the engine while working on it), and removing the ground from the engine block, it began to run again normally. The ground currently goes from battery, to frame, to starter/generator. It previously went from battery to frame, to starter/generator, to engine block. This is strange.

After removing the ground to the engine block, the cart runs on a full battery, but then discharges the battery and stops running. When I put a volt meter on the battery with the engine off, I get 12.5 VDC approximately. With the engine running, I get about 12.6 VDC. It appears that there is no charging happening from the generator. On another gas cart with a starter/generator, I saw the voltage go from 12V with the engine off to 15V with it running, which I believe is normal.

I replaced the voltage regulator today, and saw no change in the way it ran, and still no increase in voltage at the battery when the cart was running. I've changed the solenoid as well, and saw no difference in anything then either, although the replacement solenoid was a little different than what had been in it (physically different I mean). The only thing that made a difference was taking the ground off the engine block.

What I'm wondering is this: Is there a way to test the output of the generator portion of the starter/generator? I put a DVM on the F2 and the green wire, and only saw 9.5 VDC there (NOT sure this was the right way to check it, can anyone verify?), can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Before spending a bunch of money for a new generator, I'd really like to check this one... I'm pretty good mechanically, but this is the first cart I ever worked on.

THANK YOU!

JeeperEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO Charging Problem?

You'll need to search out an electric motor/alternator/generator guy. He can definitely bench test your starter generator and tell you if by itself, it is working or not. If it's not working, problem solved. If it is working, he *might* be able to check the electrical over on the cart and tell you what's up. If you're lucky enough to find one of these guys, treat him well. You'll most likely never have to buy another starter or alternator again if he's good, and having them completely rebuilt from my guy is cheaper than a NAPA run. You might try and autozone test, which I think is free, but I'm not so sure they'll want to try a golf cart genny and I've never had much faith in that sort of test. I think I'd look up "electric motor service" in your area and call some of those guys. Unlike Autozone, they can tell you who what where why and when instead of "it's probably broke". They'll be able to do something about it too. those starter generators are salty.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
jeffrun
Gone Wild

you can check that s/g on vehicle by removing the green wire on the voltage regulator and ground it. Start motor , read voltage at battery, should be between 13.5V-15V. If you dont see these readings, then check your s/g for bad brushes. If you get theses readings, then the s/g is working. The problem would be the voltage regulator or its connection. good luck
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
JeeperEd
Not Yet Wild

OK, so I removed the green wire from the voltage regulator, grounded it, and ran the motor, getting a reading of 12.4 VDC at the battery. Having already replaced the voltage regulator and other items, I'm guessing then that the generator/starter is not charging. Off to E-Bay for a new one I guess. Thanks for all the help!
JeeperEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

You don't have to right off the bat get a new one. As I've said look up "electric motor service" in your area and they can probably help you out. They should also be able to bench test your generator and see if it, or something else is bad.

Just because you grounded that wire doesn't mean the generator is shot. If you want to get a new one go ahead, but if it was cheap to have the generator tested I'd do it anyhow. That way even if it were bad I'd feel better about buying a new one.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery charging, charge, electric, ez-go, generator
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO