lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1988 Ez-go 2cycle starting issues

Hello all, was looking for some advice as where to start. I have an Ez-go 1988 gas cart and it has started having issues starting, there are times where you have to hold the accelerator down for several seconds or "pump" it a few times to get the engine to fire. Once it starts running it runs like a champ just beginning to have issues starting. I have checked the plug and gap and all seems fine there, not sure about where to go from here as small engines is not my forte, any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated.
nebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
Rastus
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1988 Ez-go 2cycle starting issues

if you make sure not to cut you fingers off you can depress the pedal and rotate the starter belt to see if it is brushes or one hanging up. also is the solenoid clicking?
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Okay, at the risk of perhaps sounding like I'm being a jerk (which of course is the OPPOSITE of what I'm trying to do) - do NOT do ^THAT^ or chances are even with perfect, catlike reflexes You will at least smash the hell out of Your hand if You haven't done it before.

Question 1, is it turning over and just not *starting* until You pump the gas? If so, it sounds to me like You need to pull the carb, remove the jets, clean them thoroughly, reinstall, and You should be fine (as well as being able to count to ten without removing your socks) - to do this, remove the clamp holding the air cleaner tube, as well as the screws holding the 2 cables. There will be a fuel line on the passenger side, loosen then remove the clamp and hose. Now, pull the (2) 10mm nuts on either side of the intake and remove the carb. Here's a detailed diagram of how things go together, come apart, stc - WITH the required jets and cleaning points circled. Best bet is a can of spray carb cleaner, blow everything out (including the individual jets) then reassemble, hook up the fuel line, cables, air cleaner, etc and give it another shot.

NOW - if you have to stab the pedal to get it to turn over at all, then YES it could be the brushes, accel microswitch, solenoid, or a multitude of other things we can lead You through SAFELY testing. Which one is it?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, and concern for my fingers (at 45 they are no longer "cat-like", if they ever were to begin with). Will go through the carb but want to get the gaskets first to replace when I put the carb back on, problem is I have found kits for 82-88 and 88-94....since this is an 88 how will I know which to get? Was told the 88 was a bit of albratross as they changed the whole carb for this year and then changed it again the year after so the carb parts are unique for this year. Not sure if that is completely true as I haven't found a kit for just an 88 but for ranges up to and starting with the 88. Anyhow will attempt the carb as it looks more like something I am at least familiar with, electrical makes my head hurt and will attempt that last. Have dealt with wiring harnesses and electrical parts on cars but trying to trace down and check all that requires much more time (and beer, hmm wonder if that has anything to do with it...)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

Also in answer to your question the engine is not attempting to start, you step on the pedal and nothing unless you hold it down for several seconds or "pump" it. It does not do it all the time it is intermittent meaning a couple times every three holes I play. Do not hear any "clicking" but it may be as I am sitting on it when it decides to act up and when I flip the seat up to see what's going on it decides to run fine at that point. Really beginning to think its a cart with a sense of sadistic humor....
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK - THAT leads to a likely problem with the pedal microswitch - it's on the firewall directly below where the driver sits at the *very* bottom ... Try jacking the cart up so it doesn't run away on you and jumping the terminals on it and see if that gives You a consistant start, if so there's your huckleberry. If NOT, then the first (and easiest) shot is to pull ALL the grounds (battery to engine, frame, etc) and completely wire brush and clean them - if they are at all corroded these carts have a tendancy to try and find ground through the choke or throttle cables which leads to an intermittent situation such as what You describe.

Also, the BV21 carb on the 88 uses the same gaskets as the bv18 (all other years from 82-94) even though it's a different carb - as long as it's a 2-stroke carb gasket You'll be fine.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

OK jumped the switch and it still paused on a few tries, some fired right away. So next I have wired brushed and sprayed connection cleaner on all major wiring contacts AND went ahead and replaced all large grade cable. Cart still has those moments of pause when stepping on the pedal, but now am hearing a bit of a whine before motor starts and takes off, so am thinking starter next. Is there rebuild kits for the starter? I have only found complete starters for sale so may go that route if I can't find brushes and armature. Also not that I cleaned up the wiring, wasn't overly corroded but was original wiring and cart is 25 years old, but now am having an issue with the forward/reverse switch. I know the cables are right as I took them off one at a time to cut and make new cables and cable ends were put on under my press for good tight connections. The switch now sometimes needs to be flipped a couple times to get it into forward again. Once again I know it is 25 years old and may have to replace the switch, but was wondering if this could be part of the starting issue or if I should just replace both starter and switch.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
nebguy
Not Yet Wild

Also, BrewCity... I like the cart on your picture profile, it looks like mine but not sure of the year as the body style is the same for many years on these. I was wondering it looks like it is lifted a bit, can you tell me did you buy a kit and lift it and if so how much of a lift is on that? May be interested in that project :)
Any info on what you did to lift it and advice since you have gone through it would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Hmmm ... Well, Greenie has had a few "tweaks" LOL - Engine-wise, the basics, HEI Ignition, High-Output Coil, all wiring redone, Top end bored .050 over and redone, Drive Clutch Rebuilt, driven spring stretched and new ramp buttons, shorter belt, etc ... The lift is a standard 5" block, the shocks are full-length Monroes ...

Bottom line, it's a pretty decent cart and has been reliable, speedy, powerful, etc for a few years now - I'm actually thinking about selling her though (I have a friend who isn't as filled with attention to detail as he is looking for a reliable, break-resitant cart that hauls ***, LOL) so I've run the numbers - I have about $1100-ish into the mods, etc including the basket, seats, etc and another $400 or so into the Engine and Clutches - Would I build another Marathon, yep. Would I build another Marathon to KEEP? Well, every cart is different. If I didn't have a bunch of money to stick into a cart, wanted something relatively quick, powerful, etc then it's a resounding YES, especially considering the ease of repair and the low, low cost of ownership.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
JohnKIOhio
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebguy View Post
........wasn't overly corroded but was original wiring and cart is 25 years old, but now am having an issue with the forward/reverse switch. I know the cables are right as I took them off one at a time to cut and make new cables and cable ends were put on under my press for good tight connections. The switch now sometimes needs to be flipped a couple times to get it into forward again. Once again I know it is 25 years old and may have to replace the switch, but was wondering if this could be part of the starting issue or if I should just replace both starter and switch.
I have almost the same issues as you from what it sounds like. Mine runs great but sometimes requires pumping of the pedal to make anything happen. Any luck yet? I have been trying to figure it out for 1-1/2 years. I live in an area we have our carts plated and drive on the roads. I tracked mine over the weekend, still hits 34.6 mph. Anyhow, would be interested in what you find. I have done all the stuff you have 3 times over.
JohnKIOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO