lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
bull903
Not Yet Wild

Default charging new batteries?

Got the charger not kicking on issue fixed this morning. I'm all new to this. Put brand new batteries on a 48 volt cart. With charger fixed i plugged it in at 10:30 this morning. After about 6 hours I got little nervous so unplugged it then after reading up on it a little on the web (15 mins later) I realized that i shouldnt have done that so i plugged it back in. Before unplugging it has been sitting at the 3 amp level for a while and still sitting there now after replugging it. Also before i unplugged it i but a volt meter on it and the pack showed to be 63.4 and all batteries 10.7 with charger on. When i unplugged it packed showed 55.8 and batteries 9.3 and plug receptacle was 51.1. since re plugging total hours charging is about 10 hours now. Just checked volts again and got 64.3 on pack and 10.7 on batteries and still showing it to be at 3amps on charger itself.

Guess my question am I still safe to leave the charger going until it shuts itself off? And yes, I know the charger does shut off itself on my last batteries.

Thanks for the help again!
bull903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
dave*m
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: charging new batteries?

I have always found letting new batteries sit for about 24 hours before charging allows them to run through a normal charge cycle.It may time out.When you unplug it after it is off check your battery light to see if it blinks.If it does drive the cart around for a bit and let it sit overnight.Start a new charge cycle in the morning and it should run a normal charge cycle. hope this helps.
dave*m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #3
bull903
Not Yet Wild

My intention is to run it tomorrow still the battery pack drops some. Then plug it back up for another cycle of charging. My issue that I'm not sure if I should just let it run till it shuts itself off or turn it off before i head to bed later on. Brand new batteries that are not cheap just has me little worried I may be doing harm to them. Volts ares still showing same no higher or less. Little gas smell which they say is normal. Might be even hearing a little bubbling noise as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
bull903
Not Yet Wild

Update the charger finally went off after 12 hours of charging. Pack volts show to be 53.5 batteries show to be 9.4 and receptacle shows 55.2. Sounds about right i think.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . charge cycle can take up to 16 hours to complete, with pack voltage reacihing over 60v during cycle . . . all of which is normal . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
bull903
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Steve. Thinking of driving it around for couple hours today to drop the pack volts some then run it through another charge cycle. Is this something I would need to do or not?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull903 View Post
Thanks Steve. Thinking of driving it around for couple hours today to drop the pack volts some then run it through another charge cycle. Is this something I would need to do or not?
. . . follow the new battery break in procedure in the Stickies . . . good rule of thumb is "Park it and Plug it in", letting the OBC/charger combination maintain them for you . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car