lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
john_fulton
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1989 EZGO Marathon Electric wont go.

Hello,
New to the forum. Just bought a used 1989 EZGO Electric Marathon. When I bought it from the guy the accelerator would only make the cart go if you pushed it about 1 inch down. If you went to far down it would stop. When I got home I found that the cart died quickly, two of the batteries were shot so I replaced them. I now have 37 volts after a full charge and have tested the solenoid and that is working properly. I believe my setup is like the attached image. My question is why did it not work with the full range of the accelerator and why now does it now work at all. If I keep hitting the pedal it will pulse the wheels every now and then. Any help would be appreciated along with a part number for the part you think I need to replace. I am leaning to the 0-5000 ohm potentiometer which I assume the accelerator pedal adjusts as you press down on it.
Thanks,
John Fulton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon%20-%20Controller%20Schematic.JPG (143.7 KB, 0 views)
john_fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO Marathon Electric wont go.

The potentiometer is easy to check with a DMM. If you don't have one, any cheap one will do, and will serve you well.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

37V is low for a 36V battery pack. It should read 38.2V when fully charged. each battery should read 6.37V and all six should be within 0.1V of each other.

If the pot is maladjusted or the wiper is dirty, it may be sending a throttle signal to the controller in excess of 7,000 Ohms, which the controller will interpret as a defective throttle and shut down.

Pull the small Black and White off the controller and measure between the wires with an Ohmmeter.
Pedal up should read about Zero Ohms and Pedal down should be about 5,000 Ohms.
Push the pedal slowly and the Ohms should increase from min to max smoothly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just for safety sake, perform this test with the key off.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
john_fulton
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick replies. I do have a meter so I will check the potentiometer. Also the batteries were above 38volts but I have been working on the headlights and have drained them a bit but will put the charger back on to get the voltage back up after I check the potentiometer.
John
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I've never seen a pot box, but if it's misbehaving, contact cleaner "may" help. I don't know if it's a wire wound pot, but if it is, it's less likely to wear out and may just need cleaning and adjustment. There are several adjustment points.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since I see you're new here, there are Owners, Service, and Parts manuals in the Stickies.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
john_fulton
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I think the problem is in the potentiometer. I pulled the assembly apart and inside is a round potentiometer. I looked up the number on it which is
PMC98191. This is supposed to be a 5k pot. I measured it and it goes from 600ohms to 11.5k. The range to get to 5k is only a third of the full accelerator range. I assume I need a new pot.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
john_fulton
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I bought a 5k pot from Radio Shack for $3.50. There should be no issue with wattage ratings will there? I am going to replace everything tomorrow and give it a try. The pot is not as heavy duty as the original one but the range is good and it is accurate.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Will the pot box allow for the full range of rotation of the new pot? Typical pots are nearly 360 degrees from 0 - 100%. Is that the way the old one is?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO