lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
RSGreen
Not Yet Wild

Default 2004 TXT electrical problems / short

Bought the cart 4 months back and it was working fine until the kids accidentally backed into a dumpster; has been running poorly since. The cart has the 5 pin controller. It began to operate sporadically - losing power after only going about a mile, also when driving slowly or backing up it began to shutter and then one day it finally gave up completely. I took the motor off thinking perhaps it was dirty or had some object causing it to operate poorly. It was dirty alright; cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Still didn't work right though, came on (barely) a couple of times while jacked up off the ground but had no power and wouldn't keep running. Troubleshot the problem and figured the solenoid was bad based on some research on a website. Bought and installed a new solenoid tonight. Checked it twice before turning the key but missed the fact that I put the diode on the new solenoid backwards with the stripe on the black wires. Smoke came from the white wire (from the charger) hooked to the first battery's positive terminal. Realizing I had likely shorted out of at least one component I switched it off. Thinking the diode was hopefully the only problem and now triple checking that I hadn't done anything else wrong, i turned the switch once again to now get smoke from the key switch. Finally coming to the realization that I'm clearly in over my head, figured I better contact the Forum here for some real help instead of causing more damage guessing my way through this. I did see one diagnostic test (there may be many more) that I could try which was posted on the stickies - the MOTOR UNWANTED CONTINUITY TEST
I disconnected all wires to the motor and checked continuity. I only have continuity between F1 and F2 but NOT between A1 and A2 and not between any of the A and F terminals. Perhaps a bad motor?
Greatly appreciate any advice or testing I can perform to get it running again.
RSGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2014, 12:23 AM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 TXT electrical problems / short

When you press the pedal does the solenoid click? I bet not. Need more information on model/type of cart. Whatever the original problem was is probably still there in addition to a few more. Reconnect everything and lets start over. You can replace the diode later unless you have another one. Smoke from the key switch is not good. I assume you took the smoked diode off the solenoid.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSGreen View Post
I did see one diagnostic test (there may be many more) that I could try which was posted on the stickies - the MOTOR UNWANTED CONTINUITY TEST
I disconnected all wires to the motor and checked continuity. I only have continuity between F1 and F2 but NOT between A1 and A2 and not between any of the A and F terminals. Perhaps a bad motor?
Greatly appreciate any advice or testing I can perform to get it running again.
The A terminals are the armatures, which are connected internally by brushes. When you say you have no continuity, how much resistance are you reading? Could simply be the brush assembly got damaged in the motor. No continuity between the "A"s and "F"s is GOOD. When you removed the cables, did you use two wrenches? You need to hold the bottom nut in place while removing the top one.

Also, we need to know if it's a series or SEPEX motor. SEPEX motors have a speed sensor, and if damaged, causes the controller to not know how fast the motor is turning, so it goes into "creep" mode.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

You don't need the diode for trouble-shooting purposes, but it could have damaged either a micro-switch (cheap) or the controller if SEPEX (expensive). Always turn the Run/Tow switch (if SEPEX) to tow when playing with wiring.

Smoke coming from anywhere is a bad thing, so...
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle: Good post. If there is a open between A1 & A2 that would indicate a problem with the motor too wouldn't it?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Not necessarily with the "motor". The brushes could be bad or the commutator may be dirty or damaged. Fairly easily fixed. Instructions are in the Stickies Service Manual.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Also, if the bottom nut wasn't held in place while removing the top nut, could have torn loose the cables from the brush assemble. Still possibly home or shop repairable.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I clean my commutator with a Scotch-Bright pad. Leaves less deep scratches for pitting and/or corrosion.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's unusual that he saw smoke from the white/red wire at the receptacle and then later smoke at the key switch because - smoke at the white/red wire would indicate a poofed reed switch ( or maybe just a smoking hot bypass job?) and then later power still going to and thru the F&R micro switches to the Key switch but indicating a short when key switch is closed = a short in the peddle box micro switch which is always my first guess when this very common mistake occurs
The peddle box micro switch(ms from here on out) is Ezgo specific. You will have to get one from a GC shop or Ezgo Dealer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
RSGreen
Not Yet Wild

Wow i really appreciate the responses. It is a Series system cart.
Radioman: haven’t been able to turn the cart back on without the unwanted smoke issues so I haven’t pressed the pedal with power applied. I didn’t remove the smoked diode; didn’t realize it was smoked until you just said so. Have just now removed it. Am clearly not that familiar with golf carts or DC systems but learning fast.

Yurtle: I didn’t use two wrenches but was pretty careful taking them off and didn’t over-torque them. Is there a way to see if I buggered them up or broke something loose? Between S1 and S2 is 0; between A1 and A2 is 1. I also get 1. between all the S’s and A’s. When I took the motor off to clean it I couldn’t get the armature out to see the brushes and when I tried to loosen the smaller bolts on the end that I suspected held the whole motor together the first one sheared off so I stopped, cleaned it the best I could with brake cleaner and put it back on.

Scottyb: the smoke I saw after hooking the diode up wrong came from the white wire at the battery post instead of the receptacle (don’t know if it matters but wanted you to know in case it does). Where/what is the reed switch and how do I know if it’s bypassed? Where is the peddle box ms located and how do I know if it no good? Is it better just to go buy a ms and assume I smoked it? Many thanks for all the responses.
RSGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Did you notice the range? a 1 may be ohms and range 2 may be kilo or mega ohms.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO