lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 93 DS Runs Intermittently

OK I need some help. Just pushed my Club Car back to the house (again) after it died on me. It has been running intermittently the last couple weeks. Will run for a few days just great then decide to quit just like I turned the key off. If I let it sit awhile it will start back up and run for awhile again. When it dies it turns over just fine but discovered today it is not getting spark. I have a tester to clamp on the end of the plug and stick the tip into the plug cap. Then it has a small window to see if there is any spark when turning over. When I just hooked it up it threw a spark first thing then nothing. I am not well versed on these so I could use some pointers as to where to start. It is the 290 Kaw engine. I have looked at some diagrams here on the site, but if there is some test i could perform to see where the trouble is I would appreciate. As I said it isnt completely dead, just decides not to run sometimes, so whatever the issue, it is not all the time. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for any help..`
bcsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 93 DS Runs Intermittently

I do have a multimeter and know how to use it if there is something I can check with it.....
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Check out this thread>>>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-throttle.html

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Thank you for the link, very informative. I will see what I can come up with....

I also used the "search" function and found some other info to take a look at..looks like I'm not the only one with intermittent running issues....
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well the club is torn apart in my garage. I got the flywheel and coil exposed, that was not too bad but not that easy. Had to take off or loosen a number of items to get all the bolts out. I said heck with it and have ordered a coil and igniter while everything is apart. The splices and connectors for the rev limiter and igniter wires under the front of the engine are also pretty messy. They have had oil and gunk make it into the ends so I may just replace those also. Not sure if proper contact is being made there either. I did order the rotary 9334 for much cheaper than the club part, $16 shipped.

2 questions for all here:

1) what is the gap between the flywheel and coil where they make their spark contact??
2) how does the spark plug wire cap come off the coil wire?? Does it twist or just pull??
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

1) The coil gap is .012
2) Roll back the sheave on the plug cap, and it will "unscrew"! (counter clockwise)

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
1) The coil gap is .012
2) Roll back the sheave on the plug cap, and it will "unscrew"! (counter clockwise)

Thank you

Parts on the way, hoping for the best.....
Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well good news and bad news....

Received my ignition coil and igniter and installed without issue. Everything back together and no parts or bolts leftover..lol. Ran for a number of rides and all worked well...until yesterday. Was going out my driveway when the same thing happened..just plain died on me. Had my spark checker with me and again had no spark ah comeon!! Remembered a couple posts about removing the ground from the rev limiter so went and got my 10mm socket and disconnected..spark back and running!! Now with the intermittent issue I've had don't think I want to believe it is fixed but with replacing what I have there isn't much remaining. I didn't replace the spark plug cap on the end of the coil wire but seems that would either work or not. So here's keeping my fingers crossed I have it fixed this time. With the cost of a rev limiter it may stay this way if fixed because I don't try for top speed. Also from my reading of it unless I adjust the governor I still wont go any faster it just wont cut out when I reach top RPM's. Is that correct??
Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
bcsman
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well a couple weeks running with no more issues...grandson and I very happy. Not gonna worry about replacing the rev limiter as I do almost all the driving and will not over rev the engine. I have done a few 5 mile runs to test and I feel 99% comfortable to report she is fixed!! And to boot have a new fuel pump, igniter, and ignition coil with spares now....and Club Car engine experience.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car