lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Rxv at higher speeds

I currently have a g22 yamaha and was looking at getting an rxv with the rear facing seat and 14" rims, I have heard that these carts are not good at higher speeds, 25-30 mph, is this true? I did not like the older ezgo carts due to their lack of suspension, but I do like these rxv, does the braking system have any problems? Is there anything I should look out for? Thanks in advance got your help. Josh
twistc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Rxv at higher speeds

Any comments/suggestions?
thanks,
Old 09-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

twist, I will say this about them, I myself don't know alot about them but, my buddy recently sold his TXT and got a RXV and he's reprogrammed it and also put a 10.1 gear in it and she travels at about 38-40mph. I've rode in it and it is stable, doesn't shake or shimmy. Now he's got it low to the ground, which I know helps alot, but his rides good. I can't remember what model his is, he buys them from a golf course and flips them, but he kept this one. Hope this helps.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Some folks report problems with 2008 and early 2009 models with the older motor brake, however, I have a 2008 with the original motor brake and no issues. Guess it depends on how the previous owner(s) took care of the cart.

Worst case you get one and find out the motor brake is on it's way out... $200 to replace it. Can be done yourself in less than 30 minutes.

The RXV programmed into EZGO's freedom mode will run 20-21 mph. You can replace the gears and make them run up to 40 mph as stated above.

If you find one with a bumpy ride it likely just needs the bushings replaced or new shocks. Both of these items can be purchased fairly inexpensive. I replaced my bushings when I added HD springs (added a back seat).

Overall it's a good cart... tons of torque and hills are no problem for the RXV and it's AC drive motor.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Aspec - you did add the back seat? How is the ride and how does the limo handle? We just had twins and i think i have a good lead on a RXV, i do like the braking system as my yahama brakes are a pain right now. I do like the ability to have the 14" rims as well... What size rims are you running? It looks like i should try to find a 2010 or newer, anything else i need to look for?
thanks,
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
TheAspec
Gone Wild

I'm running 10" wheels on 20" tires - no lift installed and they do no rub. Pic below (prior to rear seat being added)

I just installed the Max 5 Elite rear seat this past weekend. You'll really want HD springs if you add a rear seat. This seat was more expensive than many of the other $300-$350 rear seats but I liked the looks of it better and it has several "available options" such as trailer hitch, cooler, bag holder" which can be bolted on later. It's a solid seat.

Handles the exact same with the rear seat; I can't tell a difference in ride quality to be honest. However, I did install HD springs just before I bolted the seat on.

As I mentioned, the other things you may need to watch for are worn bushing/shocks which again can be replaced easily and fairly inexpensive.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It might be priced too high, but i suggest looking for a 2012.5 or newer. The reason i say this is ezgo & danaher (the motor controller manufacturer) dont get along anymore, so parts are not available anymore (the controller and the resistor control module and handheld programmer). The unavailability of those parts means it would have to be converted to the newer Curtis system if either of those parts failed. The 2012.5 and newer has the curtis system in it already (and the programmer is pretty easy to find). You can still go with the older "danaher" model, but at least you know what you are in for if those parts fail.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
twistc3
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you for all of the info, much appreciated.

Aspec- where did you purchase the seat and the HD springs from?

thanks,
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
also put a 10.1 gear in it and she travels at about 38-40mph. I.
Does it lost a lot of torque with these gears ??
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistc3 View Post
Thank you for all of the info, much appreciated.

Aspec- where did you purchase the seat and the HD springs from?

thanks,
I purchased the seat from King of Carts and I got the HD springs locally from a EZGO dealer. Shop the HD springs around... you will find the prices are all over the place. I highly recommend you replace the bushings when you replace the springs. You'll need 12 total bushings for the rear springs.

EZGO Part #'s for the springs/bushings:
620160 (front bushings) x 4
70291G01 (rear & shackle bushings) x 8
604494 (HD spring) x 2

Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO