lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #21
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1977 TaylorDunn restoration

Im not sure if you need to replace it or not, but it doesn't look good. I have the one off my cart that i will never use, i could give it too you for a cheap price of free99 + shipping. if you are interested, also any other part your may need just pm me
10507581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #22
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10507581 View Post
Im not sure if you need to replace it or not, but it doesn't look good. I have the one off my cart that i will never use, i could give it too you for a cheap price of free99 + shipping. if you are interested, also any other part your may need just pm me
Thanks for the offer and I will send pm,as I think I need to replace it,not sure what else I will need right now,pm coming.
jhockey2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Well I decided I should tear it right down,so I know every thing is good before I cruise the town.Good thing I did as the chain case had no oil at all and the motor needs a good cleaning and new bolts as someone used carraige bolts.The rearend seems fine but there is only one plug you remove for filling and it is an odd size,most diffs I have seen are 3/8 drive but his one is smaller,not sure what size yet.Also rearend looks like a 9 inch ford.I will take a better look tomorrow to see if there is a level check and a drain,but my neighbour had a quick look and said there was nothing.I am going to replace the motor bolts with brass or copper ones I guess,one is brass I believe and the rest are carraige bolts which are corroded.I think they should be brass or copper so they don't react but I don't know much about electric motors.Any suggestions would be awesomeI will post pics of it ripped down to nothing tomorrow I hope,,,,,Thanks for any help.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 AM   #24
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

well here is a shot of my flatbeds reaend and yeah its a 9" ford.

I had started to tear mine apart to replace the chain and sprockets.I forgot to take more pics as i put it back together.which bolts were you talking about being carriage bolts?
Yes there should be a fill level pug.I believe it is up on the front of the pig.I would have to go look at mine again.
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #25
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

The carraige bolts were on the electric motor not on the rearend.They used them as the hook up posts,ex. pos,neg.There was alot of corrosion and I don't think there was a good connection being made.I have torn the motor down and cleaned it all and today I will go get new post bolts.I want to make sure every thing is very good before I try to fire this thing up.The chain and sprockets look real nice as does the brake shoe.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

From what I can see in your pic,my chaincase is the same and the rearend looks the same.When I get the motor back together I will test it by hooking up the batts and hopfully she kicks over.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Well my neighbour is blind as I found the drain and level plugs on my rearend.I have to admit they are very small.I hope they don't break trying to get them out.I have to make sure there is fluid in there.The chaincase had none so it wouldn't surprise me if it was empty.I am waiting on new terminal bolts to come in fri.for the motor,then I can reassemble it and see if she fires up.Restore is going fairly well,no surprises yet and I am really enjoying it.My carts frame is in great shape so I have a good start there,as long as it runs the rest is cosmetic and new parts.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #28
jackel440
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds good.Glad to see all is going the way you want it.I have other irons in the fire before I can start modifying my flatbed.Good luck on yours
jackel440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
jhockey2008
Not Yet Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackel440 View Post
Sounds good.Glad to see all is going the way you want it.I have other irons in the fire before I can start modifying my flatbed.Good luck on yours
I wish you all the best luck with your project.Mine will go slowly though,I am looking at next summer before it is done.Hard to work up here with all the snow and cold,and I am tearing down every small piece to clean and fix and paint it ,so when I am done the whole thing will be like new.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #30
sgrower1@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild
Taylor-Dunn

Hi Guys,
I have worked on a number of Taylor Dunns mostly the flatbed B 2-10 series from the 70s and before.
The speed control shown in your pictures is similar to those that I have repaired. Typically they have 4 or 5 vertical copper bars and long horizontal pressure bar holding the J-hook against the vertical copper as as the j-hook slides from first speed to fifth speed. At the base of the vertical copper bar set, there are four thick wire resistors. The copper j-hook and vertical bars are coated with a blue di-electric grease which controls the arcing sort of.

These systems were simple with mechanical linkages and springs for the accelerator and the braking systems. With the resistors in the system you would use the same electricity at slow speed as you would use at full speed. So if you were going full throttle they worked pretty good, but going slow was a pain. The TD carts were tough,motors were series and often carts with 20 or more years in service were functional, needing battery maintenance, daily charging, weekly or monthly applications of the special blue grease to the copper bars, occasional brake adjustments, rebuilding of the speed control and the Forward/Reverse switches took about 30 min. In those days the chargers were equipped with mechanical timers, none of the fancy circuit boards and OBC systems in more modern carts. Most of the parts are still available and many companies have a couple of B 2-10s sitting out back waiting for recycling or a friendly cart repairman.

Phil
sgrower1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts