lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
RustyBucket
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '03 EZ-GO shift lever question

It's not easy to make the little black shift lever stay in neutral, sometimes when the engine is cold I'll blip the throttle to keep it running and and the cart will JUMP. Is there a 'store bought" improved shift lever available? Might be nice if it was easier to reach too. I see how I could fab. something but I'm lazy. thanks
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '03 EZ-GO shift lever question

They really are not made to be in Neutral. Does your cart have the dual shift cables, or the single? Single shift levers have a neutral lockout at the lever. Dual cable systems had the nuetral pin at the rear end, which id removed in most big block applications...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
WickedCarts
NOT a Sponsor

i agree there is no neutral... very dangerous to rev motor and not have foot on the brake....
WickedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
RustyBucket
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine has 1 cable for F/N/R shift and there's no detent or anything to make it want to stay in neutral. I have the lever facing down 'cause the weight of the lever tends to keep it in neutral at least a little better. I might turn the lever up so I can keep my hand on it better. I could extend the shaft forward a little so it cleared the front of the seat and make a little taller lever. It'd be nice to reach shifter easier anyway. Maybe I'll "invent" something and start a second career......... nah, too lazy.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

I modified the single cable shifter on my TXT to have a "neutral" detent.. I used the "service" lock pin as the detent.. Remove the pin from the lever and round the tip on a bench grinder, slightly stretch the spring for more tension.. Lightly chamfer the pin's hole on the shifter mounting bracket, grease the parts on reassembly.. To use the detent, leave the pin in the "service" position.. To go back to normal operation, place the pin's lever in the normal operating location..

I did this mod after my GF almost ran someone over by starting the Vanny in gear.. It's become habit to shift into "neutral" now when parking the cart..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0017.jpg (75.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0018.jpg (84.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0019.jpg (106.7 KB, 4 views)
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
RustyBucket
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Looks like a good fix John, safer too --- At least with the crap I'm having with the clutch mine won't drop into gear, just makes a buzzing noise as it lightly grinds the gear..... I've got worse problems I think. I posted awhile back about using air pressure to hold the valves open while I installed the rev kit. When I put air pressure on the rear cylinder it blew through the carb. That was with the rocker arms off, so the valves were closed for sure. I twirled the valve stem around.. didn't help. I KNEW it was the intake valve or seat-- maybe the seat came out of the head. BUT it had been running good when I took it apart, so I stuck it back together. Guess I hoped it would heal itself. Today it wouldn't idle and was running crappy so I took the air cleaner base off and if I run it up to 2500rpm or so it keeps popping back through the carb. Guess I'll have to pull the head off and see what happened.............. I've about quit enjoying messing with this thing.....
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!