lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2022, 01:28 PM   #21
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Cart won't move in reserse

I hadn’t looked that closely at the motor, but if that’s a sepex motor that’s definitely the problem. A sepex motor in a Series drive system will not work, Not no way, not no how.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #22
jricl6
Not Yet Wild

Would you suspect the FnR switch?

remember, as posted at the beginning, if the rear wheels are off the ground, the will both spin forward and reverse at high speed. Once on the ground, it will move forward but almost no power when reverse. Basically what I mentioned all this time.
jricl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:49 PM   #23
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If you have a series controller and a sepex motor I am surprised that the wheels turn at all. What was the original controller and did you add the reverse contactor or was it already there? Another tell tail is the stud size the same on the motor or are the F ones smaller?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:27 PM   #24
jricl6
Not Yet Wild

I bought it as is. The controller was the same as the new one I recently purchased. I did not add a reverse contractor and Yes, the studs for A1/A2 are bigger than F1/F2.

The previous owner bought the new batteries and potentiometer(receipt in hand, 2 month old batteries). I bought the cart with the issues I am facing. The previous owner did not want to deal with it.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:02 PM   #25
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unless someone in this CC section knows exactly what he has, I suggest posting this to the electric golf cart section as was suggested earlier.

This cart may need a whole makeover!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:03 PM   #26
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the F studs are smaller than the A studs that's a sepex motor.
It would also have a sensor on the end cap with three wires, and a magnet beneath that mounted to the end of the armature.
Series motors have the same size studs for all 4 studs, and no sensor or magnet on the end. Not even a place to put one.

A sepex motor can technically be "powered" by a series controller, meaning that it can physically make the motor turn, but it will not produce nearly enough power to move the cart even just under it's own weight. The details on that would take some time to explain, but simply put, it can't be used with a series controller.

So the real question is, if this started out as a sepex cart, and someone tried to "convert" it. Or if it's supposed to be series and someone got the wrong motor.
I don't know enough about Columbia carts to be of much help for determining what Should be there. I know there are a few guys in the Columbia carts forum that would know based on the VIN for the cart, and hopefully they should be able to help you get it straightened out.
At this point it's basically a Series cart, so the easiest way to get it running is probably to get the correct Series motor for it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #27
jricl6
Not Yet Wild

Finally, I resolved the issue by not using A2 from the controller 1205M:

Both forward and backward are now working.

golf cart2.jpg

Thank you for all your help and support.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car