lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
kmaximus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Help Needed - 2010 DS - OBC Bypassed, Cart won't run?

Hello All, needing some assistance.

Our 2010 SN:AQ1042-140686 DS has been experiencing charging problem for some time, all signs point to the OBC being bad.

I bought a Modz Max48 and proceeded to bypass the OBC. I did try the new charger prior but it wasn't working correctly either.

Following the process in the OBC Bypassing Sticky. I did the following:

- Placed cart in Tow
- removed negative from OBC at charge receptacle, taped it off.
- Connected new wire from charge receptacle tap directly to pack negative
- disconnected 6 pin connector going between OBC and Controller
- pulled out blue and white wire from connector and temp spliced them together.
- left connector plugs disconnected.

In this state, I proceeded to test the charger and it fired right up and proceeded to charge as expected. I then proceeded to test cart functionality.

- I removed the charger plug from the receptacle
- put the cart in RUN, inserted key and turned it on
- moved the FNR switch to reverse and disengaged the brake.

Nothing happened. no reverse alarm or any other sign of life. I tapped the pedal and did hear the solenoid click. I moved the switch to Forward, still got a click but no action.

I reinserted the blue and white pins back in the connector and reconnected it, move the cart back to Run and proceeded same test, everything worked as expected.

At this point, I feel I missed something in the ByPass process but after reading through the whole sticky and other treads I'm not catching what I missed. I'd really appreciate any input or suggestions on what might be wrong. Thanks!

attached a pic of the temp twist i did on the blue/white wires. they had good contact from what I could tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220527_211137.jpg (174.9 KB, 0 views)
kmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2022, 10:07 AM   #2
1sharphook

Default Re: Help Needed - 2010 DS - OBC Bypassed, Cart won't run?

I recommend that you reread post #2 in the sticky. Stop for a moment and think about what that modification does to the 6 pin harness. From there, compare it to what you did. I think you will then know the answer to your question.

BTW, can you post a link to the sticky instructions you initially followed?
Old 05-28-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
kmaximus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yup, it was using this sticky: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=114227

Rereading post 2, I think I met the requirement...but I could be reading it wrong...

" cut the 6 pin plug off of the old OBC,disassemble it and remove all of the unnecessary wires (Everything except the white and blue wires). Make a connection between the white and blue wires of the 6 pin plug. Butt connectors will work, but I prefer solder and heat shrink tubing. Plug the 6 pin connector back into the wire harness."

From what I can tell, you splice blue and white and all other wires are not needed. Leaving the connectors not plugged in I thought satisfied this, but again I'm probably reading this wrong. I guess my question now is of the remaining 4 wires...which ones do I need/not need?
Old 05-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Which side of the plug did you make the connection????
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
1sharphook

You are not reading it wrong. You did not follow the instructions. Why to you think it might be necessary to plug the modified connector back in?

Sorry I was not clear...what post number in the sticky did you use to "Following the process in the OBC Bypassing Sticky"?
Old 05-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #6
kmaximus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Which side of the plug did you make the connection????
On the OBC to Connector side. this matched the pictures Sergio shared of the connector disassembly.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #7
kmaximus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
You are not reading it wrong. You did not follow the instructions. Why to you think it might be necessary to plug the modified connector back in?

Sorry I was not clear...what post number in the sticky did you use to "Following the process in the OBC Bypassing Sticky"?
1, 2, 3, 13, dismissed anything related to a series cart, I saw mention of a yellow wire in several other posts but don't recall those numbers.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you want to do it on the other side of the connector. (The Controller side!) (but I'm a Yamaha guy)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
1sharphook

You did not answer my question. Did you even bother to think about it? BTW, the word "series" does not exist in sticky post #2. Sorry but I need to bow out here. This should not be this difficult. I apologize for my noise.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just saw this and looked at your picture. You connected the blue and white on the side of the OBC. The OBC that is being bypassed/removed. Think about it this way, you remove the OBC and put it on the work bench. Then connect the blue and white wires on the work bench. This obviously isn’t going to do anything for what is left still in the cart.

The blue and white need to be connected going to the controller side of the connector.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car