lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo charger problem now a cart problem

So Ive been restoring a 2004 ezgo36v , and I'm an armature I admit, I wired my new charging recepcate backwards and blew the fuse on my power wise charger. So I replaced the fuse an it only put out like 2 amps. Did some research, countunity test checked connections and found nothing seriously wrong , so I bought a replacent capacitor from ez go (exact match) and put it in tonight ( positive I did not wire this one backward if u can even do that), plug it and charger came on and put out about 10 amps. So I watched it for a minute or so and the next thing. Ya know it starts SMOKIN and there's a FIRE in my battery compartment (insulation on the charging cable melted and burned in half). After I put the fire out and looked over everything I tried to turn the cart on and put it in gear and it will not even engage or go any where. Not shure what happened but hope Yall can help thanks
Cookieman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo charger problem now a cart problem

If there was a fire, it is very likely you shorted something. It may have been something done the first go around, but you need to locate the short and fix that before you do anything else.
If you don't have one, buy a good multi-meter. It will become very useful.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

I have a fluke meter, only thing I can think is that the positive and negative got together in the charger but I don't know how that. Would make the cart not work .do u think it could have burned up the Solonoid or controler
Old 12-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

The cart worked after I blew the fuse
Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the fire was in the cart, it's not likely the short is in the charger. After re-reading your original post, It appears you may have shorted the charging port. Check to see if the ceramic insulation on the plug point is still intact.
Make sure you have disconnected the primary negative before you do anything further. Should you be the ground for that power pack, it could well be the last thing you see.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm a armature too, a little crusty, shorted out, and in need of a rebuild....i'm too young to need a rebuild.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armature_1.jpg (42.6 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You might have shorted out one of the rectifier diodes in the charger and was sending some AC current through the battery pack instead of all DC. That would give you the symptoms described.

What Make/Model charger?

Disconnect charger from cart and from AC power, let sit for half an hour and then measure between the pins in the output plug with an Ohmmeter. Should be very low Ohms in one direction and very high Ohms in other direction.
If same Ohms in both directions, the diode rectifiers in the charger are bad (they are replaced in pair).
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

Power wise 28115g05
Old 12-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

Looked at the cart today battery's are still holding a good charge, no obvious signs of any thing burn up but the charging leads. Cart won't work though, any ideas on where to start lookin?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
Cookieman987
Not Yet Wild

Well I think i've got it figured out the positive red wire coming from the charging port to the microswitch was also burned in half. I did not think this would cause the car to not work at all but it seems this is likely the problem.
but hey I'm just a armature.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO