lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Fitting 14's on rear of G14-22 without a lift

First, let me say that this thread is just an informative for the people that have asked me about a couple of past builds I've done with G16-22's using staggered 12/14's - the original (that I saw) was actually done about 6 years ago by Scot (EssnEss) and has become one of my "Down and Dirty" ways to trick out older Yamaha's without breaking the bank - Thanks for the inspiration, Amigo

So here's the problem with 14's on the back of a G14-22 - there just isn't enough room to clear the rear frame extensions.

20171009_132941.jpg

BUT ... if you look close, there's room to clear the frame tubes, so the simple route is bust out the cutoff wheel and get rid of what isn't needed

20171009_135551.jpg

If you have a rear seat or worn shocks, etc - just to be safe it's easy to cut a bevel where You sliced off the outer frame members, that way no matter WHAT there's no chance of rubbing. The inner fenderwell will need to be shortened a bit and riveted to the downtube with an "exploding" rivet, but once it's all done the 14's fit with no interference and stay within the body lines

20171009_142116.jpg

Here's a pic just to show the way to cut the fenderwell, best to get it all mounted and run the hell out of it to make sure all your clearances are good

20171009_182057.jpg

And there You go. Figure about an hour and a half to 2hrs, front to back if You're familiar with pulling Yamaha bodies, a bit more if You aren't. One caveat, there isn't an easy way to get 14's up front without risking rub, so to do this You're sorta stuck with that Badass "Muscle-car Raked" look running 12's up front - but hey, it's just another option if You want to try out something unique
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Fitting 14's on rear of G14-22 without a lift

"exploding" rivets!? I want some of those! I could really have some fun with those!

Nice work on the mod. I never saw any pics with the bumper installed. I assume it still fits.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

it does - if You look at the cuts, only the outer part of the mounts are removed, it still leaves more than enough for the bumper to be supported as well as the original mounting holes (I'll snap a pic when I get to the shop) ...

LOL ... "Exploding Rivets" ... That's always what I've heard them called, never really thought about them having another name - they're the ones that split into 3 legs when fastened instead of just expanding, like the factory EZGO style (in case anyone else was confused)
Old 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I told the other half to grab me some "Exploding Rivets" but we were cranking Deep Purple in the shop at the time so this is what I got, sorry ...

20171010_172443.jpg

WHY she would think I keep rivets in the bottom, locked drawer of my desk is besides the point.

Here's the bumper, straight as an arrow and no change to the normal mount, structural integrity, etc (remember, only cut off the stuff *outside* of the tubular frame)

20171010_110710.jpg

20171010_110705.jpg

AND .... Just for fun, here's the alchemy a-brewin' for this particular cart, Black base, .015 Chrome flake (maybe a pass or two) and then some Deep Cobalt .008 to tone it all down - as if 10+hrs some days in the shop w wrenches and head-scratching wasn't enough, NOW things are getting "creative" LOL. In MY defense, it's Wisconsin, and it's October. I have maybe a month left w the carts, Winterizing, getting stuff lined up in storage so I have carts to tear apart fully by Spring - yeah, I'm seeing a time where "Boredom" is going to hit, so let's start taking THAT dull emotion off the map RIGHT now, LOL.

20171010_153434.jpg
Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

(FYI - Good German Aluminum Powder makes a really cool Pearl, seriously. Just ask my accountant)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha