lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Sterering wheel alignment driving me crazy

I am going crazy regarding this issue. I keep setting the steering wheel to be straight when I drive straight but then I go on different roads and cart paths and its turned about 45 degrees to the left when going straight. I can't for the life of me figure this out! Is this because o the different pitches of the road? It just doesn't make sense. Anyone else have this issue? It doesn't seem to be an issue with alignment because the cart tracks straight.
genoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
ooxtreme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Sterering wheel alignment driving me crazy

Yes!!!! I have the same issue. Like when I go from paved to dirt or dirt to paved roads. It makes no sense to me either!
ooxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Let me see if I can explain this...
If the cart you are referring to is the one in the profile image for genoz then you have a straight (solid) front axle. You have large/wide tires as well. Slight slopes or grooves in the road such as when heavy trucks drive on asphalt make depressions in the road. Gravel roads get the same but it might be harder to see. Because your vehicle track is narrower than the heavy vehicles your tires may be on the slope of one of those grooves and the bottom of the other. The tires will try to "climb" up the slope of these grooves alternately right or left. Wider tires can accentuate this.

Not saying that is your problem, but it very likely could be. It is a slighter version of driving in mud ruts with a vehicle that is narrower than whatever made the ruts. Those of us who have been operating two and four wheeled vehicles of all types off road since Moses was a pup hardly notice it. But if you are less experienced it might be a phenomenon that is new. Vehicles with independent front suspension experience this to a much lesser degree to almost not at all.

That's the best answer I can give without knowing if there is something mechanically amiss with your carts such as wheel alignment, spindle bearings, wheel bearings, etc.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would agree with Rooster. But I would also add that you probably have internal play in the steering gear accentuating the problem or wear in another steering components like the steering shaft u joints.
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to check those components?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have a lot of play in your steering wheel when the cart is sitting still? Can you get 20 degrees of movement in the steering wheel without the front wheels moving?

If the cart and steering wheel drive straight on pavement, then at 40 degrees off on dirt, then back to straight on pavement then the groove issue mentioned above or worn/loose components.

If the components are worn, you should be able to see the play in the steering wheel while sitting still.

If the components are loose then you'll need to get under the cart and see what looks like it's been slipping around. Just my $0.02.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply. Was actually down at St Pete beach last weekend. There is some play in the steering sitting still. What would need to be checked?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO