lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Boogz761
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Can a RXV all of a sudden lock up when running ?

Just curious can a Ezgo Rxv all of a sudden lock up when moving ?
Boogz761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can a RXV all of a sudden lock up when running ?

If the RXV motor brake ever loses power for any reason, the default condition is to lock up.

I'm sure there may be other reasons as well. Have you experienced such a condition?
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
Boogz761
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevota Guy View Post
If the RXV motor brake ever loses power for any reason, the default condition is to lock up.

I'm sure there may be other reasons as well. Have you experienced such a condition?
Haven’t experienced any yet. Just curious being that the braking system is all electrical.
Boogz761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogz761 View Post
Just curious can a Ezgo Rxv all of a sudden lock up when moving ?

I had a battery terminal connector break and the cart locked up. Luckily I was going up Hill so it didn’t throw me through the windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
Chevota Guy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogz761 View Post
Haven’t experienced any yet. Just curious being that the braking system is all electrical.
The breaking system is actually all done with the motor in regenerative braking. The motor brake is really a "parking brake" and is either totally on or totally off.

In the brake pedal well there is a switch that will actually engage the parking brake if the brake pedal is mashed to the floor as in an emergency braking situation. In that case the motor brake locks completely up and can cause damage to the mechanics in the motor brake. Very different than conventional braking systems.
Chevota Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Great job explaining it. Many people don't get it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
badandyturbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And yes it can lock up. Mine did tonight. I had to remove the entire think to get it to move again.
badandyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

mine has locked up twice in the last week but the only two times it has done it since i bought in 2017 and its a 2015 RXV. First time i think is because of the wiring for lights to the main battery post because it had a loose connection due to corrosion but doesnt make sense why the motor brake looked up so not real sure that was actually the problem. also my main battery positive post is in need of repair or i need to replace that battery. This happened in the middle of road near an intersection in the neighbor hood and i could not roll the cart even with tow mode switched on. The wife and kids walked home because bugs were bad and it was about a 1/4 mile to the house. Wasnt sure how the heck i was going to move the cart out of the road but i played with it and while forcefully trying to push with seat off i saw a spark at main battery post so i moved the wire around some and it unlocked and i was able to drive it home.

The second time (also in the middle of the road) it locked up is strange because i rinsed the cart off and lifted seat and gently sprayed under the seats and the cart had time to dry pretty much by the time i rode to my parents a mile away to go to the pool and had no problem driving it. I parked in the back yard to go into the pool and the sprinklers came on while we were at the pool so my wife thinks it was that and maybe it was but it would have to be sitting right over the sprinkler to get batteries or controller wet i would think. I have rode it a few miles since then and no issues again this far.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
RXV Dawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Motor brake - replaced mine last year. Did the same thing - locked up driving down the road. Let it sit for a little bit and was able to drive it home.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
RXV Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, ezgo, rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO