lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #1
wienerdog63
Not Yet Wild

Default Thermal Protection Mode

2004 PDS. Stock controller, 18" tires, non lifted with a freedom chip. I had an issue where it would get hot cruising. Cable from pack pack to solenoid would get scorching hot as would the solenoid. Controller doesnt seem to be getting hot. Replaced White - Rodgers solenoid with a different one off Amazon and did a 2Ga upgrade on all cables except the ones fro, the controller to motor.
Now , it seems to be fine running wide open but unfortunatly the conditions of the roads in our campground dont allow that.So, after running around for about 15 mins at a slower cruising speed , it went into thermal protection mode. Checked to see what got hot and it was just the solenoid. Let it cool for about 5 mins and made it back.
My question is do I need to upgrade the wires from the controller to the motor, or is the cheap solenoid I bought junk?
wienerdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Thermal Protection Mode

If you replaced both big cables from the solenoid (more specifically the one from solenoid to controller), and the solenoid is still getting hot, either the solenoid is not very good, or was damaged buring installation by not doing the tightening jub with wrenches on both sides of the cable to prevent the terminal from moving. A super small amount of movement is all it takes to ruin that design of solenoid.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
wienerdog63
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thermal Protection Mode

I replaced the cable from the solenoid to the controller as well. Just didnt replace from the controller to the motor. Didnt know if it would make a difference.Also, i didnt use the 2 wrench method on solenoid. Maybe I should replace it again with a better one.
wienerdog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO