lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Advice: How to get 2017 48v TXT to 25mph(ish)

Looking for suggestions to speed up my stock 2017 48v TXT to something in the neighborhood of 25-27mph. Present top speed is 19mph. We do have a flip flop rear seat that is rarely used.

I thought about slightly higher tires but I don't know how much that will slow down my taking off after a stop sign. Or if they will give me tire rub when turning. By the way, all our driving is on flat paved neighborhood, mostly, roads.

As always, trying to work on a low budget causes the best solution to be (presently) out of reach.

What suggestions do you guys have, or thought on pro and con for any given idea?

I would like any upgrade to be with an eye toward making future upgrades. (Something like tires-> controller-> motor->

(Hope I'm not looking for a unicorn)

Thanks in advance
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-12-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Advice: How to get 2017 48v TXT to 25mph(ish)

Wires, controller, motor, then tires....
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

AS it sits, your TXT-48 is capable of about 24MPH on stock height (18" tall) tires. It only does 19MPH because the stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) RPM limits the motor to about 4400RPM.

The trick is getting the max RPM limit set to a higher number or replacing the controller with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 user programmable controller and adjusting the max RPM yourself.

You might be able to ship the stock controller to Bob Boyce (PM usgicollector to make the arrangements.) and get him to do his magic.

However that only takes it to 24MPH (I think - but might be wrong), so you'll also have to add a little tire height. 20" is about the max without lifting and the will up the speed by about 11% (26.8MPH) with an accompanying 10% torque loss.

The stock TXT-48 controller is only 250A, so replacing it with a 400A or 500A XCT later on will regain the oomph off the line and then some.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
AS it sits, your TXT-48 is capable of about 24MPH on stock height (18" tall) tires. It only does 19MPH because the stock controller (Curtis 1206HB) RPM limits the motor to about 4400RPM.

The trick is getting the max RPM limit set to a higher number or replacing the controller with an Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48 user programmable controller and adjusting the max RPM yourself.

You might be able to ship the stock controller to Bob Boyce (PM usgicollector to make the arrangements.) and get him to do his magic.

However that only takes it to 24MPH (I think - but might be wrong), so you'll also have to add a little tire height. 20" is about the max without lifting and the will up the speed by about 11% (26.8MPH) with an accompanying 10% torque loss.

The stock TXT-48 controller is only 250A, so replacing it with a 400A or 500A XCT later on will regain the oomph off the line and then some.
Thanks JohnnieB. I was looking at the Alltrax and thinking the 400 would probably be sufficient, certainly for the stock motor. But thought if I ever replaced the motor in the future... maybe I would wish I had bought the 500 "for just a few dollars more." That dilemma aside, what is a safe higher RPM setting for my stock motor?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigfla45 View Post
Wires, controller, motor, then tires....
Thanks. I think I have 2ga battery cables, but I am suspicious that the cables from batteries to controller, and maybe controller to motor, are 4ga or 6ga. I have to crawl in closer and look.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Thanks. I think I have 2ga battery cables, but I am suspicious that the cables from batteries to controller, and maybe controller to motor, are 4ga or 6ga. I have to crawl in closer and look.
Scotty sells it all. I had the tall tires to begin with but went cables, controller, then motor. I felt my days were like numbered with my taller tires and the stock motor so I upgraded a few weeks ago. My stock cables out went fairly quickly with the taller tires and stock controller. Once I swapped everything out all I had left as a weak spot was the motor. I prob could have run the stock motor for a good long while assuming I didn't abuse it but I felt why not since it was going for service anyway.
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
bbbdale
Gone Wild

Different brand, but I just added the XCT-48300 to my 2017 Lifted Precedent. Speeds went from 17mph to 25mph.
bbbdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Thanks JohnnieB. I was looking at the Alltrax and thinking the 400 would probably be sufficient, certainly for the stock motor. But thought if I ever replaced the motor in the future... maybe I would wish I had bought the 500 "for just a few dollars more." That dilemma aside, what is a safe higher RPM setting for my stock motor?

Thanks
Mike
The "few dollars more" for the 500A XCT include the fan which is $42 option on the 400A XCT, so the price difference is even less than it appears.

The only reason I didn't get a 500A XCT was because it hadn't been released for sale to the general public when I upgraded from a DCX-500A and data logs from the DCX showed my D&D ES-76-51 motor rarely drew more than 400A and when it did, it was still well within the 460A peak pass through for the XCT48400-PDS that was available.

The max RPM setting for a stock TXT-48 motor is about 6,000RPM or so, but the max that motor will spin (on level pavement) on 18"tires with a 48V battery pack is around 5,600RPM and with 20" tires it won't spin quite that fast due to the 10% torque loss.

However that motor will spin a lot faster than 5,600RPM when going downhill and if the max limit is set to 6,000RPM, the controller will use regen braking to keep the motor's RPM with the safe operating range.

-----------
All 10 high amp cables are in a series loop, so they all need to be the same thickness or the thinner ones become bottlenecks to the amp flow.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The "few dollars more" for the 500A XCT include the fan which is $42 option on the 400A XCT, so the price difference is even less than it appears.

The only reason I didn't get a 500A XCT was because it hadn't been released for sale to the general public when I upgraded from a DCX-500A and data logs from the DCX showed my D&D ES-76-51 motor rarely drew more than 400A and when it did, it was still well within the 460A peak pass through for the XCT48400-PDS that was available.

The max RPM setting for a stock TXT-48 motor is about 6,000RPM or so, but the max that motor will spin (on level pavement) on 18"tires with a 48V battery pack is around 5,600RPM and with 20" tires it won't spin quite that fast due to the 10% torque loss.

However that motor will spin a lot faster than 5,600RPM when going downhill and if the max limit is set to 6,000RPM, the controller will use regen braking to keep the motor's RPM with the safe operating range.

-----------
All 10 high amp cables are in a series loop, so they all need to be the same thickness or the thinner ones become bottlenecks to the amp flow.
Thanks JohnnieB. I've convinced myself that spending half the cost of the controller on tires and wheels is not the way to go right now. I think the controller is going to be the first primary upgrade.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Now I just have to deal with the Family CFO...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO