lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
ikaros70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2000 txt 36v to 48v conversion

Hi All,
I just picked up a 2000 Ezgo Txt 36v golf cart as a winter project.
Im new to the forum and new to golf carts in general, and I need some help to determine exactly what would be required to convert my 36v setup to 48v.
I have read online that some of these carts came with controllers and motors that are compatible in both 36v and 48v.
I found information online that explained the AMD motor is a HD model motor and indeed works for both 36v and 48v.
The motor, is the HD AMD and found that it will work for 48v.
The controller, I am having difficulty confirming if it can be used for 48v and am starting to think it may need to be replaced since I can’t find anything stating it will work for a 48v setup.
The controller is a Curtis PMC 25864G05, which appears to be a 350a controller.
With all that said, I basically have 2 questions.
1. So I indeed need to replace my controller for upgrading to 48v?
Seems like I do.
2. What else would I need to convert to 48v?
Batteries, 48v forward/revers switch, 48v power solenoid, am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your assist, looking forward to being part of this community.
ikaros70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 txt 36v to 48v conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaros70 View Post
Hi All,
I just picked up a 2000 Ezgo Txt 36v golf cart as a winter project.
Im new to the forum and new to golf carts in general, and I need some help to determine exactly what would be required to convert my 36v setup to 48v.
I have read online that some of these carts came with controllers and motors that are compatible in both 36v and 48v.
I found information online that explained the AMD motor is a HD model motor and indeed works for both 36v and 48v.
The motor, is the HD AMD and found that it will work for 48v.
The controller, I am having difficulty confirming if it can be used for 48v and am starting to think it may need to be replaced since I can’t find anything stating it will work for a 48v setup.
The controller is a Curtis PMC 25864G05, which appears to be a 350a controller.
With all that said, I basically have 2 questions.
1. So I indeed need to replace my controller for upgrading to 48v?
Seems like I do.
2. What else would I need to convert to 48v?
Batteries, 48v forward/revers switch, 48v power solenoid, am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance and appreciate your assist, looking forward to being part of this community.
1. Yes. A Curtis 1206 controller does do 48V. Get an Alltrax SR48400 or larger. (user programmable)

2. Also need a 48V battery charger.

Unless you are going to a reversing contactor, the mechanical F/R switch works at 48V.

If you are going to use 8V batteries, you'll need longer battery cables since they have both terminals on the same side. (All 13 high amp cables ought to be upgraded to at least 4Ga)

The pre-charge resistor for a 48V system is 470Ω. (36V is 250Ω)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

If you are going to replace batteries & charger...look into Lithium. The drop ins come with charger and BMS for around the same price....well worth it for the benefits.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Yes. A Curtis 1206 controller does do 48V. Get an Alltrax SR48400 or larger. (user programmable)

2. Also need a 48V battery charger.

Unless you are going to a reversing contactor, the mechanical F/R switch works at 48V.

If you are going to use 8V batteries, you'll need longer battery cables since they have both terminals on the same side. (All 13 high amp cables ought to be upgraded to at least 4Ga)

The pre-charge resistor for a 48V system is 470Ω. (36V is 250Ω)
I fumble fingered that one. It should say "doesn't do 48V".
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
ikaros70
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks to the info, I will look into everything that’s needs, appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikaros70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO