lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Trans Axle Governor question is

I recently purchased a 97 ez-go project. Basically only thing left is bthe body and running gear. Im putting a gx 390 in it. I saw on the axel where the governor used to be but there is only a post sticking up. Does that mean the governor is wide open or fully engaged? Do I need to replace the hardware to disengage it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130801_210713.jpg (136.9 KB, 0 views)
dubs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Trans Axle Governor question is

If you don't hook anything up to the governor shaft, it won't do anything to govern the motor or speed of the cart.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay thanks thats what I needed to know. I actually need to cut the post down a inch or so for clearance. I guess that will be okay?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

I cut mine off flush.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just removing the governor parts from the shaft is not enough. The diff should be split and the fly weights removed. Without the complete assembly there is no pressure on the weights, with enough speed they can break off and go through gears and destroy the trans. Some people get away with it and others are not so lucky. You can leave the shaft in the trans. or plug the opening.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
dubs27
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvkersh View Post
Just removing the governor parts from the shaft is not enough. The diff should be split and the fly weights removed. Without the complete assembly there is no pressure on the weights, with enough speed they can break off and go through gears and destroy the trans. Some people get away with it and others are not so lucky. You can leave the shaft in the trans. or plug the opening.
Do you know where I can find a write up on how to remove it?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
rvkersh
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Somewhere on here is a parts breakdown of the diff. It will give you a general idea of how to do it.I pull the diff. out with the wheels still on, stand it up on the drivers side wheel. Mark some arrows on the case showing which way the bolts went through. Next to the shifter on the pass. side of the case is a bolt that goes into the case, remove it with the shift detent ball and spring. Remove all case bolts making a note of where the spacers are, take photo's, it will help at reassembly. Carefully tap and wiggle the case halves apart,everything will stay in the driver side of the case. The flyweights are on the input shaft, held in place with 3 phillips head screws. Remove them and the sleeve that engages the fork on the governor shaft. clean the oil off the gasket, coat with non hardening black permatex and reassemble. Don't let this scare you, its pretty straight forward. If you intend to do high speed gears now is the time to do it.
rvkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO