lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to questions on Cleaning my Axle & Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by v UNO v View Post
What bearing are you speaking of? I still consider an amateur at this so I don’t know common things yet.
If I tear anything apart, I replace all "consumables". Oil and bearings.

If it ain't broke, it just don't have enough features.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If I tear anything apart, I replace all "consumables". Oil and bearings.

If it ain't broke, it just don't have enough features.
I was told by a tech not to change the rear end oil because the gears are made with compressed graffite and over time the oil thickends as the parts wear so if you change the oil you have the potential to need to replace the whole rear end as there is thin fluid with lose parts. Is that true?

Also, i was working on cleaning the rear end last night and i notice alot in 2 specific areas of the axle that looked to have leaked some over time. Is this normal? or is it something that i need to replace?

The spot where the leak looked to be comeing from was a circle on the axle shaft right next to the pumkin. (its on bothe sides and on both shafts)

P.S. is there an eary war to clean the axle or is dgreaser and a brush the best way?
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I was told by a tech not to change the rear end oil because the gears are made with compressed graffite and over time the oil thickends as the parts wear so if you change the oil you have the potential to need to replace the whole rear end as there is thin fluid with lose parts. Is that true?

Hooie

Also, i was working on cleaning the rear end last night and i notice alot in 2 specific areas of the axle that looked to have leaked some over time. Is this normal? or is it something that i need to replace?

???

The spot where the leak looked to be comeing from was a circle on the axle shaft right next to the pumkin. (its on bothe sides and on both shafts)

???

P.S. is there an eary war to clean the axle or is dgreaser and a brush the best way?
I just cleaned mine in gas, but I replaced all bearings. If you aren't replacing your sealed and flooded bearings, you may wanna lay off on the solvents.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just cleaned mine in gas, but I replaced all bearings. If you aren't replacing your sealed and flooded bearings, you may wanna lay off on the solvents.
The tech from a sponser (i dont wanna name any names) said since it is compressed metal it will wear away over time. so as the parts wear down it thickens the oil and it will equal out. If I put new oil in, it may slip of start causing problems because of the thinner oil and worn down parts could cause issues. hearing this of course scared me because my fear is if i change the fluid and gasket it could cause more expensive problems.

I guess i should say my cart is a 2000 and i know parts wear. I assume nothing has ever been changed so i know it should i just fear it would cause a snow balling effect and a $20 fluid change just cose $200 in a new differensial.

Again, dont laugh at me but i have to ask....you cleaned you axle with gasoline?

So you completely disassembeled your axle and replaced evetything? Is that the best thing to do? Was it very expensive?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val-Con View Post
It must be going around,,, funny how many of us have the same thoughts and urges
i will ask this because i just dont know, so please dont laugh but if you flip the axle it wont cause rear end fluid to run into the motor? I thought you had to keep the axle upright at all times....
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Thatsme?
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Change the OIL. You change the oil in your car don't you. You should also change the differential oils in your car at recommended intervals

There are 2 plugs one on each side of the intermediate shaft that seal the oil into the differential. It won't hurt a thing to turn the differential upside down or any other direction. The vent is the only thing that might leak but mine doesn't have the vent.

De-greaser is fine I use solvent. Gas will work it is just a lot more dangerous.

PS. I have already heard about the Tablecloth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stripped diff.jpg (235.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg O ring Snap ring grooves.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 96 TXT motor brushes 1.jpg (217.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 96 TXT motor brushes clean minus bearing.jpg (235.0 KB, 0 views)
Thatsme? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsme? View Post
De-greaser is fine I use solvent. Gas will work it is just a lot more dangerous.
Thank you because i was worried i f*cked up. im just having a hell of a time cleaing it up, 13 years of build up donesnt come off really easy.

Did you clean you motor on your own? how hard is it?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The tech from a sponser (i dont wanna name any names) said since it is compressed metal it will wear away over time. so as the parts wear down it thickens the oil and it will equal out. If I put new oil in, it may slip of start causing problems because of the thinner oil and worn down parts could cause issues. hearing this of course scared me because my fear is if i change the fluid and gasket it could cause more expensive problems.

I guess i should say my cart is a 2000 and i know parts wear. I assume nothing has ever been changed so i know it should i just fear it would cause a snow balling effect and a $20 fluid change just cose $200 in a new differensial.

Again, dont laugh at me but i have to ask....you cleaned you axle with gasoline?

So you completely disassembeled your axle and replaced evetything? Is that the best thing to do? Was it very expensive?
I had a failed sealed bearing, and since it was a '98, I assumed all bearings had the same wear. Prolly comes from work, but if I have something torn apart, why not replace all wear items that are 15 years old? My labor is free, but I don't like to redo anything I can avoid.

As to the oil, I replaced mine, as I never heard the "compressed metal" theory. I've built over a billion dollars worth of infrastructure before retiring, and never heard of "compressed metal" requiring dirty oil.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you because i was worried i f*cked up. im just having a hell of a time cleaing it up, 13 years of build up donesnt come off really easy.

Did you clean you motor on your own? how hard is it?
I downloaded the service manual from the stickies and replaced the bearing, but my brushes were fine.

Not too hard, and the bearing replacement was prolly not necessary, but since I had it torn apart to inspect the brushes, I figured...
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I had a failed sealed bearing, and since it was a '98, I assumed all bearings had the same wear. Prolly comes from work, but if I have something torn apart, why not replace all wear items that are 15 years old? My labor is free, but I don't like to redo anything I can avoid.

As to the oil, I replaced mine, as I never heard the "compressed metal" theory. I've built over a billion dollars worth of infrastructure before retiring, and never heard of "compressed metal".
I’m just relaying what I was told.....I am so new to this that it sounded legitimate, but then again it may be my youth fooling me.

Yurtle, im with you since it is apart I thought why not do it all now rather than take it all apart later and do it again, but It was suggested to me that if there is no noise and no problem now, why waste the money on something that doesn’t need to be fixed? I was informed that it can be costly to replace the “wear parts” and since my cart is a 2000 I still have another 10 to 15 years if not more (baring a catastrophic failure) before they would make noise and need to be replaced.

With all that being said if it’s something that is a must do now I will. I know im not going to get the money I put into it back and I plan on keeping this thing until forever so I would rather do it right the first time to save myself in the long run?

But…

Both sides makes sense but maybe im just not think it through but to me since I am replacing/rebuilding worn parts and problems its best for me not to mess with it if it still works. I am trying to customizing at the same time too which I know can be a problem in itself but if I can save the money I could use it toward something else that needs to be fixed or added I prefer to do that.

I don’t know what to do.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO