lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to questions on Cleaning my Axle & Motor

If nothing's wrong, why is it apart?

I'm guessing it was around $100 for all bearings and seals, but if labor's "cheap", no need to replace something that's still good.

I'd still replace the oil, but that's me.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If nothing's wrong, why is it apart?

I'm guessing it was around $100 for all bearings and seals, but if labor's "cheap", no need to replace something that's still good.

I'd still replace the oil, but that's me.
labor would be free since it would be my step father and myself who are doing all the work. He is a mechenice by trade and is much more knowladgeable however he is out of town for 2 to 3 weeks at a time working so i am left alone and when i have a question i got o BGW.

Im sorry, i may not have been clear in the beginning. If you look at the first post in this thread, My cart is apart as the whole rear end is out of the cart. When i said apart i ment that the axle is pulled, not stripped it down.

Im sorry again for any confusion.
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Don't apologize for my inability to keep up with all posts. I'm not a buggy expert, but just giving you my experience.

The good thing about this forum is, if I say something stupid, folks will put me in my place, and I won't take it personal.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Don't apologize for my inability to keep up with all posts. I'm not a buggy expert, but just giving you my experience.

The good thing about this forum is, if I say something stupid, folks will put me in my place, and I won't take it personal.
Its just the way i am. Thank you for your help and i think the good thing about the fourm is all the help but getting put in your place is helpful.

I appreciate you imput yurtle.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Little late to this party, but UNO you potentially have a custom wired cart. When you get ready to play with upgrades there, remember me, I also have a 2000 and it took ScottyB and Johnnie (again thank you both! and everybody else) a lot of head scratching to help me, but I now have a wiring diagram that works for the 2000s. There were a couple versions during that year and while the end is the same, the route the wire colors take is different, so matching color does not work.
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well thanks fot the info, how do i know what wiring style i have?
Old 12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by v UNO v View Post
well thanks fot the info, how do i know what wiring style i have?
Sleepy has a PDS drive, which uses a Sepex motor, but the pictures of your motor shows the wire used in the field windings to be thick, wide and flat, so I'm about 99.999% sure you have a series wound motor. If so, your cart would be described as a 2000 TXT Series.
Attached is a chart that shows how to tell what type drive you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v UNO v View Post
I was told by a tech not to change the rear end oil because the gears are made with compressed graffite and over time the oil thickends as the parts wear so if you change the oil you have the potential to need to replace the whole rear end as there is thin fluid with lose parts. Is that true?
If there is any part of the differential and axle assembly that contains, is made of or is coated with graphite, compressed or otherwise, I am unaware of it.

The gears, which are made of steel, do wear, so the oil will be black and there may be some glitter in it because the microscopic particles that are worn off the gears clump together and form visible particles.

The EZGO service manual says to change the oil in the rear end after five years. Unfortunately, the wording is somewhat ambiguous and does not clearly define whether it means only the first five years or it means the initial five years and every subsequent five years thereafter.

Personally, I take it to mean every five years.

----------
Also, EZGO uses SAE30 motor oil in the differential and I believe oil formulated for gears ought to be used. Or at least something added top it to make it cling to the gear surfaces better.

I'm currently running an 80/20 mix of SAE40 and STP, but I'm going to switch to Lucas Gear oil when I have the pan off this winter.

BTW: The viscosity of Motor oil and Gear oil are measured on different scales, so 30 weight motor oil and 85 weight gear oil has about the same viscosity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 PM   #28
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes if I go by the picture attached I can say its a series set up.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Update: Cleaning my Axle & Motor

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with my cart questions and have helped guide me so i don't make a rookie mistakes. I ask a few questions about prepping my rear axle and wanting to paint it. I just wanted to post a few pictures of my rear axle, before and after, to show everyone that helped me out how it went.

Again, thank you to everyone who helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131207_194815.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20131207_194822.jpg (166.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20131227_173241.jpg (286.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20131227_173205.jpg (190.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20131227_173216.jpg (232.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #30
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like the upgraded hubs.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO