lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
IronMonkey
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed spring, zip tie, or drill D hole on Drive?

Just bought a 2010 Yamaha Drive cart this past weekend (also just registered on forum) and was wondering what is the best way to get more speed manipulating the governor. Simply tightening 10 mm nut, pulling tight and putting a zip tie on it, or drilling out arm where D shape goes through it. Which is best way and why for the Drive model? Which way will allow it to get more speed? So far I have added a lift and put 23 inch all terrain tires on. Thanks for your answers.
IronMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
jeff70
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Speed spring, zip tie, or drill D hole on Drive?

All 3 will get you more speed, Tightening the nut or zip tying is reversible, so if you ever have kids or what not driving you can limit their speed.
jeff70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey View Post
Just bought a 2010 Yamaha Drive cart this past weekend (also just registered on forum) and was wondering what is the best way to get more speed manipulating the governor. Simply tightening 10 mm nut, pulling tight and putting a zip tie on it, or drilling out arm where D shape goes through it. Which is best way and why for the Drive model? Which way will allow it to get more speed? So far I have added a lift and put 23 inch all terrain tires on. Thanks for your answers.
Given those choices, and if you truly want maximum speed, I would opt for the drilling out the governor arm. This will truly defeat the governor's action, plus it will not cause cable issues, like what would happen if you tried to bypass the governor and run the cable directly to the carb.

Also, something to consider when using speed springs and zip-ties. This places additional load on to the governor and the input shaft which can cause it to wear faster than if left stock.

The downside to drilling out the governor arm, is that it's not reversible. If down the line, you decide that you want to restore the governor, you will have to replace the arm. But that it a relatively minor consideration.

One other caution, someone on this forum (I forget who) removed the governor arm, and while doing so, the governor shaft fell back into the transaxle requiring removal and disassembly to retrieve (a pain in the rear). So be careful when removing the arm.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry, just had rotator cuff surgery and can't type very good w/just left hand. Pics of my G1 solution. Arm drilled when I bought it, and wanted to be able to limit speed for my grandson. Made a "key", and tapped the arm to accept the allen wrench screw.

Pic 1 = no limit. Pic 2 = governor limited.

HTH,
Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Governor_Off.jpg (117.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Governor-on.jpg (102.2 KB, 0 views)
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Kerrville78028
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTX View Post
Sorry, just had rotator cuff surgery and can't type very good w/just left hand. Pics of my G1 solution. Arm drilled when I bought it, and wanted to be able to limit speed for my grandson. Made a "key", and tapped the arm to accept the allen wrench screw.

HTH,
Ogre
Ingenious idea!
Kerrville78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandbaggerYDRA View Post
Given those choices, and if you truly want maximum speed, I would opt for the drilling out the governor arm. This will truly defeat the governor's action, plus it will not cause cable issues, like what would happen if you tried to bypass the governor and run the cable directly to the carb.

Also, something to consider when using speed springs and zip-ties. This places additional load on to the governor and the input shaft which can cause it to wear faster than if left stock.

The downside to drilling out the governor arm, is that it's not reversible. If down the line, you decide that you want to restore the governor, you will have to replace the arm. But that it a relatively minor consideration.

One other caution, someone on this forum (I forget who) removed the governor arm, and while doing so, the governor shaft fell back into the transaxle requiring removal and disassembly to retrieve (a pain in the rear). So be careful when removing the arm.
I agree ^^^ Synthetic oil is highly recommended.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
IronMonkey
Not Yet Wild

To drill it is. Thanks for the info everybody.
IronMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #8
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTX View Post

HTH,
Ogre

That's a great and easily switchable solution. I like it!
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha