lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default G-max out of nowhere - HERE WE GO AGAIN, hahahaha

Well it happened again ... I was driving around with a pocket full of cash and an empty trailer (long story) and ended up bringing home a nice 2008 G-Max. She's a fleet car but only has 404hrs on the meter and with the exception of a little faded spot on the cowl that should buff out nicely, clean as a whistle. NOW - the million dollar question, WHAT do I do with this thing?

10389001_10200492075860470_7611472428320889687_n.jpg

I just ordered a set of L/T kits and new wheels for the 'ol TXT street-rod, so I have a nice set of 14" Fairway Alloy Bullets sitting around, likely this is going to be the next "Street Cart" in the stable as I'll prob use them on this one

20130608_151528.jpg

SO - my last G16 (which was always a favorite around here for the couple of years I had it) got the whole Plowmans treatment, Hot Setup, Machined Clutch, Cam, etc (and THAT cart could pull down a house as well as run 35mph all day on 23's) so I'm probably going to go through Don for the mods again with this one - but being more or less a cart that doesn't need to climb mountains I'm thinking on setting it up for pure speed (within reason for safety's sake) - Anybody want to check my math and see what I'm missing or possibly kick in another idea or two?

The plan is 8:1 gears, machined driven clutch, Torque Spring, bypass Governor, Polish and Jet the Carb, swap the airbox for something that can breathe, valve tweaking, shorter belt, etc ... The plan is to beef the clutching and drivetrain to offset the 8:1 gearing so I retain takeoff power as well as gain a bunch of top end - The goal is 40mph, does this sound about right or am I missing something here? Maybe an "Overdrive" clutch?

BTW the "Lid" will be coming off and I'll likely fab up some kind of funky roll bar for this one too (similar to the red EZGO) - my concerns are fitting the 14's up front (I remember when EssnEss had issues with these exact rims on his G16 up front) - but that I can play with while I wait for the mod parts to arrive ... For now though, anyone want to chime in on the drivetrain ideas?
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G-max out of nowhere - HERE WE GO AGAIN, hahahaha

What air box ''works''

I have a 2011 with a carb with a small non-standard air box
really need a better idea then the small generator? air box on it now

unfortunately my g-29 /drive has the TEAM axle and clutches
are there up grade springs for that unit and what is my current purple spring rated at?
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

On my G16 I went with Plowmans High-Flow element and modded the intake to open it up a bit (basically that's another way of saying "drilled several holes" LOL) - I would personally call Don (info at plowmanscarts.com) and run your setup by him, see what he suggests. When it comes to Yamaha's he's definitely one of the top "Go-To" gurus!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

WELL ... Looks like there's some funky fab work in my future, the G-Max isn't the same cart underneath as the G16 and I'm going to need an extra inch of height to make these big 'ol 14's work safely ... Should be able to fab a pair of 1" shock extensions fairly easily and from the looks of things, that'll get me right in the front - the rear might have to be trimmed a bit at the crossmember but that doesn't look like the end of the world either once I lift it up by an inch and a half or so (I don't mind a slight "rake" in a street cart anyhow) ... Here's athe mock-up, I don't mind these rims on it at all!

11112582_10200492841759617_2469843880238364921_n.jpg

I think I'm going to have to make a more "temporary/permanent" spot in the shop for this project, the body has to come off to really get the fab work done "right" - WOO HOO here we go again, hahahahahaha
Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

OK ... So I have the materials ready to go to extend the suspension, planning on using a set of Harley Coilovers on the rear to give me an extra 1.25" (plus a little "Bling" underneath, LOL) and I *think* I have the front 1" all settled providing I don't end up with caster issues ...

First though, a little quality time with the pressure washer, oil change, some greasing, etc - she could sure use a bath!

20150403_103731.jpg

20150403_102631.jpg

20150403_102649.jpg

What irks me a bit is that Harris Carts (our area Yamaha Dealer) already had this on the Retail Floor and it was marked "Factory Serviced 03/30/2015" - and had I not bought it Wholesale and had it not been a traceable Low-Hour Private Cart I would have been LIVID. Zerks haven't seen grease in ??, old plug, air filter blown out but that's it, oil blacker than night, 20lbs of mud and debris under cart body ... If by "Factory Serviced" they meant "Pressure Washed where Visible" well then I guess I could be wrong. The only other place I have seen this sort of thing is down in Central IL, at least THOSE guys make an effort (although I have repaired my share of their "Serviced" carts too that have gone out to the public with bad clutches, valves out of adjustment, worn bushings, etc) - Makes the Industry look BAD, at least to Me. I think I'm going to stick to Auction carts from my Buddy, at least then You *Know* there's likely going to be some elbow-grease and repairs involved.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yep you never know what you'll get with a fleet cart. I've seen some that were super nice and tight, and down the street for the same price I've seen worn out clutches and wheel bearings loose as a goose. It's a shame. I tend to buy "really worn out" carts for like $200. At least then I know what I'm getting into.....pretty much replace everything LOL.

I like that cart you have there. Nice plan with low profile tires etc. I agree about Plowman's. He's the best when it comes to Yamaha....he's seen it all. He also won't give you false promises, he'll tell you like it is. He's not cheap, but he's honest and his mods work.

Keep the pics coming!

Subscribed.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The good part was that I got the original paperwork with it, it was owned by a Private Association (along with another 7 carts they have) so it never saw hard "Course Use" - and I have enough people looking for carts that I can't wait for my regular guy ... He's who I get my Workhorses through, same deal I try to pay as little as possible for the ones w blown motors, etc so it's feasible to have a fresh rebuild, clutches, etc and still turn a decent buck :)

Governor cranked down she runs 24 all day, Motor Mounts are solid, climbs the hills just fine - just absolutely filthy underneath, LOL - I'll be OK with this one (for now)
Old 04-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I hit 38gps with 22s on my G9 with a clone that has basically a rev kit on it. I now have a comet duster and changed the setup and it runs less rpm (belt higher on primary) and pretty sure it will hit 40 now. Been too cold to try it. So I think with gears that are very similar to 22s in gearing you are on the right track to hit 40 with plowmans help.

I dunno about team clutches but yami you can lose top speed with short belt. Umax spring helps bottom end power. Cut sheave helps very low speed power like under 5mph and holeshots. You can try the HD kevlar belt from CPP I think its a 1 1/4 belt and cogged, but working really well on my clone. Wider makes it act somewhat like a shorter and/or cut sheave setup. I run a cut sheave and HD belt and have a umax that is not in it right now as I'm trying to get the duster clutch to work right.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Like I said above, Don did such an incredible job with my old 301-powered G16 that I'm going to just do the same thing this time around to the 357 ... The tires are just a hair under 21" so with the powertrain set up for more torque, the engine mods, the rear-end gearing, etc I can pretty much see 40 as not being an issue. Good advice on the belts though, I'll see what Don has to say about that when I call him tonight.

TODAY, however, is the day my TXT gets the long-travel kits, if UPS would ever get here, LOL. The Gmax body is going in for paint tomorrow, so I have a few days to get everything figured out, ordered, and prepped
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha