lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 PM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV battery conversion 4- 12v to 6- 8v

Am I understanding there is a plastic battery tray for 8v batteries and it is free? (RXV)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: Here is a comparison between various 6 x 8V and 4 x 12V battery packs with estimated % increase or % decrease of range based on Trojan T-1275 batteries.

Note: If the T-1275 isn't the stock RXV battery, let me know and I'll redo the chart based on whatever the stock RXV battery is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV 4x12V vs 6x8V.jpg (282.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
ctbluml
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs_huntingcart View Post
Posting as an informational post for future persons seeking information regarding upgrade. ....
Just installed 6 new trojan ranger 160's into my ezgo rxv [replacement of 4- 1260's]. Charging pack now for the inaugural voyage....at least I didn't weld myself in the process.

-Replaced factory tray with aluminum tray found on ebay.
-Reconfigured filling system to work with 8v batteries (1/4 id 3/8 od tubing from Home Depot.
-required 1- 6" wire and 1- 16" to connect batteries
-installment of battery tie downs once delivered.
Hey Dougs_huntingcart, I own a 2012 RXV. I'm about to take on this conversion myself and have a couple questions.
1) How is the aluminum holding up in Texas weather and driving conditions?
2) Is there a plastic tray or a way to modify oem plastic tray to fit 6 batteries?
3) What did you use for tie downs and how/ where did you install them?
4) What helpful hints can you give me on removing and installing items to make it easier in hindsight?
I live in Iowa and wonder weather wise if aluminum would be better over steel? My cart is used for golf only. We have high humidity during summer and would be driven in dew during morning rounds, also some rain. No winter driving, so no salt or sand. Thanks for your input!
ctbluml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

ct, the part number I was given for the new battery tray for an RXV with 6 8 volts is 627889 from EZGo. It is steel but it bolts in..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
ctbluml
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks KGSC,
But, before I make the purchase I would like some feedback/ pros and cons on aluminum versus steel. I value people's opinions on this web site, they know a lot more about golf carts than I do
I did write down the part number...Thanks again. Also getting prices on batteries as well.
ctbluml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbluml View Post
Hey Dougs_huntingcart, I own a 2012 RXV. I'm about to take on this conversion myself and have a couple questions.
1) How is the aluminum holding up in Texas weather and driving conditions?
2) Is there a plastic tray or a way to modify oem plastic tray to fit 6 batteries?
3) What did you use for tie downs and how/ where did you install them?
4) What helpful hints can you give me on removing and installing items to make it easier in hindsight?
I live in Iowa and wonder weather wise if aluminum would be better over steel? My cart is used for golf only. We have high humidity during summer and would be driven in dew during morning rounds, also some rain. No winter driving, so no salt or sand. Thanks for your input!

Hi. Happy to help where I can.....

1. the tray has been fine. Solid. No corrosion.
2. I did not see a way to modify the plastic tray for 6 batteries. Everywhere I looked, it was understood that to install 6 batteries, a new tray was required.
3. the new tray I purchased has compatible locations for oem tie downs . So I purchased, at local dealer, new metal bars that hooked to the tray and new plastic dividers to place between batteries. It is very solid.
4. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Switching the tray was very easy. Buy the tray, tie downs, dividers, a battery strap (to move batteries).
If there are any other wiring projects you are contemplating, and willing right now to shell out cash, it is easier to work without batteries being in the way!
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #17
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi. Happy to help where I can.....

1. the tray has been fine. Solid. No corrosion.
2. I did not see a way to modify the plastic tray for 6 batteries. Everywhere I looked, it was understood that to install 6 batteries, a new tray was required.
3. the new tray I purchased has compatible locations for oem tie downs . So I purchased, at local dealer, new metal bars that hooked to the tray and new plastic dividers to place between batteries. It is very solid.
4. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Switching the tray was very easy. Buy the tray, tie downs, dividers, a battery strap (to move batteries).
If there are any other wiring projects you are contemplating, and willing right now to shell out cash, it is easier to work without batteries being in the way!

Ok . I would like to amend my previous post. The aluminum tray would have been solid if the seam was welded properly or not failed under the stress of holding 6 - 8v batteries. Either way, this sucks. As pictured, the seam has failed. Que up the "I told you so". I can take it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160419_171252.jpg (162.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160419_171305.jpg (120.2 KB, 0 views)
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #18
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok . I would like to amend my previous post. The aluminum tray would have been solid if the seam was welded properly or not failed under the stress of holding 6 - 8v batteries. Either way, this sucks. As pictured, the seam has failed. Que up the "I told you so". I can take it.
Can you just drill it and use a stainless carriage bolt? Looks like enough room for the head without rubbing the battery? If so, do both sides while your at it.
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Probably just a bad weld. It happens. I would think that you can put a carriage bolt in it or have it rewelded.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #20
abalogh
Not Yet Wild

I installed the aluminum tray a year and a half ago
my tab broke in half
your weld failed
So don't buy the ALUMINUM
abalogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO