lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Hathfu
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO RXV Voltage Reducer Wiring (solenoid?)

I have a 2014 RXV 48v (4x12) and plan to install the following
Voltage reducer ~30-60v , 20amp
Fuse block, power and ground
Led headlights and tail lights with led backlight toggle switch
Usb charger with led backlight
Led strip for tray lights with led backlight toggle switch
Led voltage indicator gauge

I know not to go to the stock key switch on this model and the easy way is to add a toggle switch to turn the voltage reducer on ...yellow wire (to save battery charge), but I have seen a few threads mentioning to connect the voltage reducer to the correct post on the solenoid. I am seeking advice and a clear understanding as to which post on the solenoid I would use and if there is anything else to avoid in touching the solenoid (don't touch with a multimeter in this fashion, etc)
Any detail or pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cory
Hathfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV Voltage Reducer Wiring (solenoid?)

On the solenoid, there are 2 large posts.

The first has a wire that runs from the battery pack to the Solenoid. This post of the solenoid is constant hot.

The second large post has a wire running to the controller. This is the switched post of the solenoid.

You want to connect the switched wire of the voltage reducer to the switched post of the solenoid./

Just don't forget to put the cart in Tow mode before loosening any wiring on the batteries or the solenoid.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
Hathfu
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you for the reply, could you please confirm the location again based on my picture attached?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hathfu View Post
Thank you for the reply, could you please confirm the location again based on my picture attached?

you have the wire on the constant hot terminal from the battery lol

you want it on the other side, see how that big cable has red insulation on it, that goes to the main positive on the battery pack

Last edited by yamahaguy97; 08-23-2016 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: addition
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Hathfu
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is the stock wiring photo, cart just came off lease from golf course. I have attached nothing....part of stock wiring harness
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #6
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
That is the stock wiring photo, cart just came off lease from golf course. I have attached nothing....part of stock wiring harness

im so sorry, lol it really did look like a wire that you would run from the reducer, the key switch wire is usually orange or yellow or something like that.

i thought when you asked to confirm location, you meant you already placed the wire on the solenoid

my mistake

but yeah, it would be the terminal without the big red main wire on it. the polarity does not matter on that particular solenoid, so i don't think you will blow anything up

steve

Last edited by yamahaguy97; 08-23-2016 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Hathfu
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Your fine, I knew what wire you were looking at...attached is a further out view, so I want the post across from the hot, than has a bridge or plate on it that goes down to the controller?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Your fine, I knew what wire you were looking at...attached is a further out view, so I want the post across from the hot, than has a bridge or plate on it that goes down to the controller?

that's correct buddy

yeah it has that bus bar type thing with the white wire on the end of it, as rabbitreborn said, the white wire leads to the controller. if you follow the thick red wire, you will see it connects to the main positive on the battery pack.

steve

Last edited by yamahaguy97; 08-23-2016 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

if you want it "keyed on" you want your dc converter activation wire on the side with the copper bus bar.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #10
cousteau61
Not Yet Wild

Hathfu,
Can you confirm that connecting the dc converter to the solenoid worked for you and that your accessories stay on even when not driving? I am being told (see below) that if I connect the keyswitch input to the solenoid that it will only work while driving. Most things I read say that on the RVX I should connect to the solenoid or do the toggle switch which I am trying to avoid. Thank you so much for any help.

mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If you connect the green switch wire to that large terminal on the solenoid with the strap, your accessories will only be able to operate when you are driving the cart and for a second or so after you stop. The main power solenoid does not stay engaged when the motor is not being used! RXVs are different than all of the DC drive carts. The controller controls when the main power solenoid is on. Your green wire would use a small ring terminal and connect to the small terminal with the small red wire on the solenoid. This is powered on by the key switch and is hot with +48V in all three reverse/neutral/forward positions and is not hot when the key is off. The KSI = keyswitch input (the yellow wire), line is fused by a 10 Amp fuse.

From here on, this is going to get technical. This is to explain to those that want to know why I am giving this advice.

A little known fact is that standard electrical/electronic design criteria means that wiring, switches, and fuses, are to be rated for at least twice of the designed continuous circuit rating. This means that the fused KSI circuit is designed to be capable of supplying at least 5 Amps of continuous current. I now apologize to the other design engineers out there for giving away one of our secrets.

Another little known fact is that DC-DC converters convert watts to watts, plus a small amount of overhead (average is 96% efficiency for 36V to 12V and 98% efficiency for 48 to 12V). 10 Amps @ 12 Volts = 120 watts, the same as 2.5 Amps @ 48 Volts = 120 watts. With overhead, current draw with overhead is still well under 3 Amps.

Obviously, the best DC-DC converter for use on the KSI line either has a power consumption that fits within the design criteria (120 watts), or runs from the battery pack directly and has a seperate keyswitch input control wire (the green wire mentioned prior) connected to the KSI wire.

I hope this explain it well enough.

Bob
cousteau61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO