lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
B747VET
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default AC 48v Western Charging Questions

I am an electric vehicle novice respectfully requesting some input on a couple of questions from the forum experts. My cart was modified by the previous owner about three years ago as far as I know. The specs and equipment in the sig below are as accurate as I can be right now. FWIW, I try to charge before it goes below 50% and closely monitor the water levels at least weekly and immediately after each charge cycle.

Very happy with handling, acceleration, and speed range. Seems to be no regenerative motor braking however. I understand that can be a controller programming issue with many cart systems.

The system seems to charge up very well, but after the charge the digital gauge often does not reflect the new post charge volts and the new % charge. It instead shows the volts and % charge that existed before the charge began. This is especially true if I charge before it drops below about 75%.

So, for example, after charging is completed, the digital gauge might often still indicate the 65% charge and 40 volts it had before charging. If I then run the cart for a couple of minutes at speed while using the headlights and ventilation fans to load the system, the digital gauge will usually jump to 50 volts and 100% charge and the charge indicator lights will go from yellow or red to the green light "full charge" indication.

Some have told me this isn't all that unusual and that it isn't a big deal, but, again, I would appreciate some feedback on such issues from the experts around here. Many thanks.
B747VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: AC 48v Western Charging Questions

In those systems, I closely examine the setting in the controller required to reset the meter and the actual voltage reached during a charge cycle. You did not mention what charger is being used. I have seen times where the batteries are getting a charge good enough to satisfy the battery makers requirement for full charge, but the threshold for resetting the meter needs to be lowered one or two tenths of a volt. Also, how old are the batteries? Aging batteries often have a hard time reaching the voltage they used to during a charge.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
B747VET
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: AC 48v Western Charging Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
In those systems, I closely examine the setting in the controller required to reset the meter and the actual voltage reached during a charge cycle. You did not mention what charger is being used. I have seen times where the batteries are getting a charge good enough to satisfy the battery makers requirement for full charge, but the threshold for resetting the meter needs to be lowered one or two tenths of a volt. Also, how old are the batteries? Aging batteries often have a hard time reaching the voltage they used to during a charge.
Many thanks for responding. Sorry for the late response, but I've been on vacation.

The batteries are less than a year old and the cart was apparently professionally converted to AC about 2 years ago. I think you are dead on that I need a pro to check all of the settings. Everything else from the conversion is high quality. I've been assuming the onboard charger is also high end, but .... ??

I won't be able to deal with the cart again until the 16th. I will try to update this issue in a couple of weeks. Thanks again.
B747VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts