lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #21
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Possible Rear Axle Bearing Bad?

See how fast that was.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #22
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
yeah, I'll get Lockman to post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
See how fast that was.....
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #23
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

Went to the local Club Car dealer and asked for a brake job estimate for four shoes and two drums. He told me the drums could not be turned. I should have asked him why not? Any opinions on this?
ufjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

My guess would be that they're too small to fit on machine or there's not enough metal left after turning to be useable.
There's not a big difference in cost of turning vs buying new drums.
Toss em and buy new ones.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #25
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

Here's an update to my original post. To recap, it's a 2003 DS and I wanted to determine if the driver's rear wheel was hot and noisy due to a bad rear wheel bearing. It was suggested that perhaps it was the brakes instead of a bearing. When I inspected, one of the shoes was worn down to metal and was gouging the drum. I thought "bingo" that's it. So I replaced the brake shoes and drums for both rear wheels.

My sister has been using her cart for the past few weeks and told me the driver's rear wheel still gets hot and occasionally makes noise. Well she dropped it off today. I drove it around for 10 minutes and the driver's rear wheel was extremely hot, and I could actually smell what I assumed were the brakes. And actually the passenger's side rear wheel was hot as well.

Well I removed the rear wheels and drums. The driver side drum had to be pried off. When I did the brake job a couple of weeks ago, I had to retract the star adjusters all the way to get the new drums on. But they did slide on. Well I assume the star adjusters remove the slack in brake play whenever you back up, so I expected a "tighter" fit but it seemed a little too tight to me. Anyway I retracted the adjusters again and the drums went back on fine.

Out of curiousity I checked the diff fluid and it is spot on. When I try to shake the hubs up & down, back to front, there does not seem to be excessive play - maybe a little end play (in & out), but it didn't seem like much.

I put the back end up on stands and engaged forward drive. It sounded a bit noisy. The wheels did not get hot like before (perhaps due to me retracting the adjusters). So my questions are - Are there any other tests I can use to isolate my problem? Are the adjusters the problem?

I'm hesitant to pull the axles to replace the bearings - mostly because its a "G" transaxle and the manual says you can't just replace the bearings, but you have to replace the axle assembly ($400), altho I can't see why. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

There use to be a trick where you bent the tab or removed the star on the automatic slack adjuster as they were notorious for over-tightening the shoes. Of course you have to manually adjust them after that which is nothing.

Sounds like that is it. Not a bearing.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And if you are really that enthusiastic and want to know with out a shadow of a doubt, you can take the brake shoes off and run it for an hour or so......
Old 07-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #28
ufjaz
Not Yet Wild

So you're saying that lever that engages the star needs to be bent out of engagement and every month or so just manually turn the star until the drum will slightly drag on the shoes?

Is that common or is everybody suffering thru tight brakes?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #29
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The passenger side on my older DS tends to over tighten and start to drag since I installed new shoes and drums a couple years back. I'm not sure why - but it has been happening every 3 months for about a year now (and didn't used to). I have ordered a new "star" and washers (there are 2) for the self adjuster on the passenger side (in case wear is somehow to blame) as well as a new set of brake retraction springs (in case the old ones are weak and not retracting completely).

If that doesn't fix it - then I'm bending the adjuster on that wheel because I'm tired of backing that one off 2-3 times/year. The brake pedal has always been very high on the cart - so if I end up making it a manual adjuster - the lowering pedal will give me a clue.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufjaz View Post
So you're saying that lever that engages the star needs to be bent out of engagement and every month or so just manually turn the star until the drum will slightly drag on the shoes?

Is that common or is everybody suffering thru tight brakes?
Yes.
I have been fortunate to never have the issue, just several of my friends have. I am sure as joesam stated that there is a reason for it, but have never heard a definitive answer to what or how....

Tags
axle bearing, rear axle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car