lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
texman38
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: I hooked up main wires to batteries backwards, fried some wires, help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The main ignition wire uses a 5a fuse if any. I measure the ignition draw at 1.5 amps when the solenoid latches and the controller powers up. I use 2-3 amp fuses for this circuit in my conversion kits with no reports of fuse failure.

The Main battery cable is a different animal. As far as I know Alltrax is the only manufacture to recommend a fuse on the battery pack connection. They supply a 200 amp fuse with their 300-400 amp controllers and 400a fuse with 500 amps and up. I hope this helps
main ignition wire? just flat confused, my fault... the cart had a 60amp mega fuse attached to the positive post that went back to the charging receptacle. That is what prompted my question, i wasn't sure if the main positive feed wire that went back to the solenoid also should be fused? so the main ignition wire fuse is something else in the book of WTF is that??? LOL... sorry if that's too much, learning via forums is on the list of things I love... 1 thing leads to another... that was a song back-n-the-day
texman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: I hooked up main wires to batteries backwards, fried some wires, help???

I believe he's referring to the + wire to the ignition switch in the dash. Small current there thus the low amperage fuse. Yes, it's common (but not stock) to have the fuse (50 or 60 amp) at the charge receptacle, but less common (but not unheard of) to have a fuse on the BIG main + wire from the batteries to the solenoid
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
Prepwade
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1999 EZGO TXT 36V and I made the same mistake. I put a new wiring harness on for lights and got confused on my wires. I put the main positive wire going from solenoid on the NEGATIVE post and the main neutral wire going from the controller to the positive wire. Then I pressed the gas for a second to test. No sparks or smoke but I noticed a bit of a burning smell.

Recognized my error and got wires corrected. I have replaced the solenoid and bypassed the reed switch (I had no power or response until then.) Now the cart beeps when I put it in reverse so I'm thinking the FNR is likely ok? But still no movement when I hit the gas. What else should I test? I saw a previous poster suggested a switch in the gas pedal? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. I'm hoping I didn't fry the controller but I hate to keep throwing parts at this problem without actually knowing the problem.
Prepwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You would be better off starting a new thread but identifying the drive type will definitely help. Series or DCS? Where is the fnr handle and does it have a rod behind it or puck?
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:14 PM   #15
Philip1202
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman38 View Post
I switched out batteries (hooked the batteries together correctly) but then hooked up the main wires coming from the controller to batteries backwards, it immediately fried the wires leading to the charging port and the diode is fried... anyone know whether i fried anything else possibly? controller? solenoid? or f/r switch? or motor? anything else? thanks!!! Sucks all i wanted to do was clean the battery box and replace the batteries... and now i'm way over my head please tell me its an easy fix??? cart makes no noise no click nothing... does the forward reverse switch need power from the charging port, or foes the diode need to be replaced (i've read other posts where people have removed the diode and it still runs? there was a small wire coming from the charging port to the f/r switch that fried, what is this wire for and is that why the cart isn't doing anything.
can you attach pictures of the proper battery cable wiring please i just had this all go down today while helping my neighbor switch his batteries out
Philip1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #16
Philip1202
Not Yet Wild

replaced batteries in my neighbors we obviously hooked up the negative and positives up wrong it went flying into reverse into the wall burnt the 2 batteries up the main connections were hooked up to. how bad of a situation are we facing here
Philip1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO