lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Default Carryall/DS Muffler Fix

So this may sound like a dumb question and I apologize if it is. I'm not a mechanic, but I like to know how things work and tinker a lot. I have a '94 Club Car Carryall that has a hole in the rear of the muffler a bit larger than a quarter. I tried to patch it with putty and a piece of metal to cover the hole. It blew as soon as I hit the gas pedal. The putty stuck to the muffler, but I don't think I roughed up the piece of patch metal enough. My next thought was to find some metal mesh to cover the whole and go over it pretty good with the putty again. Anyone out there successfully patch a muffler and have any tips.

The second part of this is the "I have to know" part. There is only one pipe into the muffler from the engine. How and where does the muffler vent the exhaust. I have seen modification where someone custom welds a rear exhaust, but how does the stock muffler work? Also is there a less expensive muffler that will fit on these carts (FE290). I have searched the forums and didn't find much when it comes to mufflers other then big mods to the exhaust system.
6eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Carryall/DS Muffler Fix

So I think I was able to answer one of my questions. I've been running through muffler replacement and noticed that some of them have a small tube that points towards the ground coming off the rear of the muffler. Several of the mufflers I looked at didn't have this and it could be due to how it was pictured. My muffler has no sign of anything ever being there and patching the hole would be impossible if the exhaust needs to get out. It looks like I would be better off replacing the muffler. The cart is running loud and I assumed it was the hole in the muffler.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
davidcmartin90
Not Yet Wild

you could always go full custom with it like i did lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180416_173306.jpg (141.2 KB, 0 views)
davidcmartin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It seems you may be trying to patch the hole that is actually the muffler exit. If you can't find any other exit port then that is the case. If you posted a photo of the muffler and hole you are referring to we might be able to answer more accurately.

If the muffler has no additional external holes but it has started sounding louder it could be that the internal baffles have rusted and shifted from their original position, allowing gases and sound to escape poorly muffled. The attached image is a simplistic illustration of an automotive muffler. There are many internal designs but this gives you an idea how the sound is broken up inside a muffler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muffler Cross Section.jpg (24.5 KB, 0 views)
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster59 View Post
It seems you may be trying to patch the hole that is actually the muffler exit. If you can't find any other exit port then that is the case. If you posted a photo of the muffler and hole you are referring to we might be able to answer more accurately.

If the muffler has no additional external holes but it has started sounding louder it could be that the internal baffles have rusted and shifted from their original position, allowing gases and sound to escape poorly muffled. The attached image is a simplistic illustration of an automotive muffler. There are many internal designs but this gives you an idea how the sound is broken up inside a muffler.
I'll post a picture once I get to the house. I'm thinking this muffler is shot and the insides are gone. i'm hoping I can get the old one off. Everything on this cart has been rusted beyond removal. The leaf springs took me two darn days to get off. I might try a couple rounds of PB Blast before I even try to unbolt it from the motor.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #6
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcmartin90 View Post
you could always go full custom with it like i did lol
Ha Ha! I saw this custom muffler in my search. Guessing it's holding up?
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
6eight
Not Yet Wild

This was the source for my confusion. These are the same muffler from different websites. On one there is a visible exit. On the other, which is the one i've seen the most of, there isn't. They don't show the rear of the muffler on any picture, but I can't imagine it would be that visible in one case and not the other.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
6eight
Not Yet Wild

here is the second one with visible exit.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see your point. I only have experience with one Carryall. A friend's, and his has the small tailpipe on his muffler.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
6eight
Not Yet Wild

So here is the hole in mine. I smeared the putty all over the back to help with future holes. I'm guessing the small exhaust pipe rusted and fell off or got knocked off. I'm pretty sure after further inspection this one is toast!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180515_162520.jpg (93.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car