lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Default Keyed ignition on a EZ-GO

I was readin in the gas club car section that they can pull a wire off and then when you turn the key and step on the gas the motor will stay running until you cut the key off. I know you can buy a $50 kit that does it but is there a way to do it without buying thr kit like on the club car?
Loud & Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: Keyed ignition on a EZ-GO

There's no way to make an EZGO "idle" without changing the spring in the drive clutch.. With the stock spring, the drive clutch will be fully engaged when you bump up the idle enough to disengage the starter... I still have the BU "Clutch Tuning Kit" that I had in my TXT before I swapped engines.. It is a slightly stiffer spring for the drive clutch and a jumper for the microswitch under the floorboard.. I'll make ya a helluva deal on it, drop me a PM with a ph# and we'll discuss it..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

You could have it where the key switch turned the engine/start/gen on/off independent of the gas pedal but I fail to see any benefit doing that. and then there's the problem CCJohn was talking about.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
You could have it where the key switch turned the engine/start/gen on/off independent of the gas pedal but I fail to see any benefit doing that. and then there's the problem CCJohn was talking about.
In the case of my cart, it was nice to have the engine idle.. Driving around the neighborhood and having to cross major intersections, it was nice not having to worry whether or not the engine would start when you punched it to cross..

The downside is the very high idle speed needed to disengage the starter part of the starter/generator.. My engine had to idle at 1300/1500 RPM so the S/G would stop cranking and start charging..
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info guys. PM sent Mr CC
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I could see where that might be an issue, having your cart blocking traffic cause it wouldn't start would get you no end of un-wanted attention. I have my vtwin cart idle (just seems to be easier on it) but the others stock carts I don't.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

The main reason I want mine to idle is the stereo.( Althogh I havent had any problems since I put the gell cell in it) We ride a long way from the house and if the battery went low I could leave it running and make it back home. Last summer my wife and I had to push the cart about a mile. (Dead cart+wife pushing=Pi$$ed off Wife)
Old 03-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud & Lifted View Post
The main reason I want mine to idle is the stereo.( Althogh I havent had any problems since I put the gell cell in it) We ride a long way from the house and if the battery went low I could leave it running and make it back home. Last summer my wife and I had to push the cart about a mile. (Dead cart+wife pushing=Pi$$ed off Wife)
Having the engine idle all the time is not gonna help ya in that regard.. The EZGO starter/generator requires about 3000 engine RPM to see any substantial output.. Also the engine's ignition system is similar to an automotive system in that it requires a battery to operate.. If the battery voltage drops too low the engine will shut down..
Old 03-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

When I go out riding very far I carry around a jumper pack "just in case" It'll jump off any car, truck, or cart.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Now thats a good idea!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO