lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #11
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: FE290 will not start new carb & coil + has compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Never know what you're going to find, or what the previous owners have done.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
The label will "stick out like a sore thumb" just behind the cylinder.
But I'm not sure if FE290's even have a label!

Attachment 179623
if no label, how else can I verify no ACR?
rockfordpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Never heard of a 290 with ACR. Thought that was only on the 350/400.

60 psi sounds way low. Did you squirt some oil in the cylinder to see if the compression comes up? The rings could be washed down now from fuel.

You don’t need to remove the head right away but you can remove the rocker cover and check to make sure the valves are actually opening and closing as the engine turns. Just spin the clutch by hand a few revolutions and watch both valves for movement.

Was it running and just quit? Is the cart a new purchase? Did you do some work to it and it was running before but won’t run after?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #14
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Never heard of a 290 with ACR. Thought that was only on the 350/400.

60 psi sounds way low. Did you squirt some oil in the cylinder to see if the compression comes up? The rings could be washed down now from fuel.

You don’t need to remove the head right away but you can remove the rocker cover and check to make sure the valves are actually opening and closing as the engine turns. Just spin the clutch by hand a few revolutions and watch both valves for movement.

Was it running and just quit? Is the cart a new purchase? Did you do some work to it and it was running before but won’t run after?
It appears both valves are moving up and down, but can't really tell 100% if closing all the way.

I did put oil in cylinder and compression shot up to around 150 PSI. I assume that means rings. However, still a bit puzzled because of my answers to your last questions below.

I bought 4 of these identical carts about 2 years ago from a dealer (all 4 carts had Georgia National Emblem) who told me only thing wrong was that coils were bad on all 4. Bodies were rough, but it appeared engines had been well maintained. New filters and oil looked really good on all.

On the first three, I replaced coil and they all ran great. It took me about 6 months each to repair, redo, and sell the first three. This was the last cart, the one sitting the longest. Just does not make sense that the first three had really good compression and the rings are totally shot on this one.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Needs a rebuild if compression came up almost 100psi by adding oil. No way around it.

Unfortunately you cant judge repairs to one cart by judging another that came with it, too many variables. Fortunately, the Kawasaki is pretty easy to rebuild, especially since it didnt fail due to a catastrophic failure.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

At 150psi the valves are closing fine. You would have little or no change in compression if this were a valve issue.
Rings were washed from being soaked in fuel. They need oil to seal properly. If they’re coated with fuel they are essentially dry and compression will blow right past them.

Does it run now? If not, Let the cylinder dry out, make sure the spark plug is dry and try starting again.
I always put the FNR switch in service mode and use my hand to open/close the throttle plate while it’s cranking, working from part throttle to closed throttle to get it to fire and stay running. Once it’s running I hold the rpms up around 1500-2000 to get the engine warmed up before trying to drive the cart. Have to do this on all of our gas carts after theyve sat for the winter. If I just push the pedal they’ll usually just flood the plug and never start.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 AM   #17
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Needs a rebuild if compression came up almost 100psi by adding oil. No way around it.

Unfortunately you cant judge repairs to one cart by judging another that came with it, too many variables. Fortunately, the Kawasaki is pretty easy to rebuild, especially since it didnt fail due to a catastrophic failure.
is there a FE290 rebuild or service manual specifically for the CC anywhere online?

I have a service manual that covers multiple engines in the FE line, including the 290, but it appears none of these are the version in the CC. It is not well written (poorly translated) and is the same manual that told me 43-57 psi compression was OK.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #18
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
At 150psi the valves are closing fine. You would have little or no change in compression if this were a valve issue.
Rings were washed from being soaked in fuel. They need oil to seal properly. If they’re coated with fuel they are essentially dry and compression will blow right past them.

Does it run now? If not, Let the cylinder dry out, make sure the spark plug is dry and try starting again.
I always put the FNR switch in service mode and use my hand to open/close the throttle plate while it’s cranking, working from part throttle to closed throttle to get it to fire and stay running. Once it’s running I hold the rpms up around 1500-2000 to get the engine warmed up before trying to drive the cart. Have to do this on all of our gas carts after theyve sat for the winter. If I just push the pedal they’ll usually just flood the plug and never start.
Does not run or even hit, not even with ether. One thing that did happen when I put oil in the cylinder, it gained so much compression that the starter gen would barely turn the engine over with throttle open (would stall on compression stroke). Oddly, it still turned over fast/fine with throttle closed.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:39 AM   #19
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

PM sent...
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
And if you bought it this way, I'd start by pulling the motor and plan to rebuild. Never know what you may find... I bought a Polaris 4wheeler a while back with no compression for $500. It was a 2007, and absolutely mint. Not a scratch on it. Machine only had 79 hours and less than 700 miles. Carb was nasty and it had 0 compression.

I came to the conclusion that it sat for a long time. Previous owner tried to spray starting fluid because carb was nasty. Straw shot off and into the motor and wedged itself in the valve, thus the 0 compression. Removed the straw, cleaned the carb and the thing ran like new.

Never know what you're going to find, or what the previous owners have done.
That's pretty epic right there.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car