lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #11
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 RXV Navitas controller

If you shop around, you can find what you are after for less than the cost of the Navitas. The Curtis current ratings are true RMS, Navitas not so much. The limitations in the Curtis controllers are programmed in, while the Navitas is hardware limited. The ONLY reason the Navitas outperforms the stock 235 Amp Curtis is because it is programmed to deliver 100% of its capacity. The Curtis controllers are programmed to max out at about 70% of their capacity. Once that is corrected in the programming, even the stock Curtis 235 Amp Curtis can outperform the Navitas for the RXV. We have tuned stock Curtis controllers to do wheelies with a full bank of lead acid batteries! Can a Navitas do that?

If you really want performance, the maximum capacity of the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller is nearly double the maximum capacity of the Navitas for the RXV. And the price comparison? The RXV Curtis option is a lot more affordable.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #12
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
If you shop around, you can find what you are after for less than the cost of the Navitas. The Curtis current ratings are true RMS, Navitas not so much. The limitations in the Curtis controllers are programmed in, while the Navitas is hardware limited. The ONLY reason the Navitas outperforms the stock 235 Amp Curtis is because it is programmed to deliver 100% of its capacity. The Curtis controllers are programmed to max out at about 70% of their capacity. Once that is corrected in the programming, even the stock Curtis 235 Amp Curtis can outperform the Navitas for the RXV. We have tuned stock Curtis controllers to do wheelies with a full bank of lead acid batteries! Can a Navitas do that?

If you really want performance, the maximum capacity of the 350 Amp Curtis RXV upgrade controller is nearly double the maximum capacity of the Navitas for the RXV. And the price comparison? The RXV Curtis option is a lot more affordable.

Bob
Thanks Bob! Where can I find a 350 amp Curtis controller with an conversion wire harness? The only place I see that controller listed is on the EZGO site. It is listed for $1500+ without a harness or programming(that has to be done after being installed). Programming is another issue, the small lake town we live in has two Golf Cart dealers and neither of them sell EZGO. I am not sure if I could even get it programmed locally.
Lees23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #13
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees23 View Post
Thanks Bob! Where can I find a 350 amp Curtis controller with an conversion wire harness? The only place I see that controller listed is on the EZGO site. It is listed for $1500+ without a harness or programming(that has to be done after being installed). Programming is another issue, the small lake town we live in has two Golf Cart dealers and neither of them sell EZGO. I am not sure if I could even get it programmed locally.
The conversion kits can be found on eBay now and then, with the stock Curtis controller more than the with the upgrade controller. There is a member here that gets the kits from time to time to time. I still have one that I bought from him so that I would have a spare if I needed one. I also bought an upgrade 350 Amp controller from him. I do the Curtis controller reprogramming. What exactly are you looking for speed and performance-wise?
Old 06-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
The conversion kits can be found on eBay now and then, with the stock Curtis controller more than the with the upgrade controller. There is a member here that gets the kits from time to time to time. I still have one that I bought from him so that I would have a spare if I needed one. I also bought an upgrade 350 Amp controller from him. I do the Curtis controller reprogramming. What exactly are you looking for speed and performance-wise?
If it’s going to be fixed programming probably 20-22 mph and enough torque to get up a steep grade loaded with 4 adults and coolers. My cart is 4 12v’s, not ideal, I know but brand new batteries so I am not planning on changing to 6 8V’s until they need to be changed.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #15
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
If it’s going to be fixed programming probably 20-22 mph and enough torque to get up a steep grade loaded with 4 adults and coolers. My cart is 4 12v’s, not ideal, I know but brand new batteries so I am not planning on changing to 6 8V’s until they need to be changed.
The 235 Amp RXV Curtis controller with stock tires/wheels once reprogrammed will run 26 to 27 MPH. With 20.5" tires, 32 to 33 MPH typical. Max tire size with the stock controller is 20.5" when reprogrammed via the mail. In person, I can tweak the motor maps for up to a 21" tire and about 35 MPH top end with the Curtis 235 Amp controller. Heading out for a bit, will be back later.

Bob
Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #16
CMeister
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I replaced the main cables as well. I've had the navitas for about a year and so far I'm very happy with it.
CMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Lees23
Getting Wild

Quote:
The 235 Amp RXV Curtis controller with stock tires/wheels once reprogrammed will run 26 to 27 MPH. With 20.5" tires, 32 to 33 MPH typical. Max tire size with the stock controller is 20.5" when reprogrammed via the mail. In person, I can tweak the motor maps for up to a 21" tire and about 35 MPH top end with the Curtis 235 Amp controller. Heading out for a bit, will be back later.

Bob
Bob:
I truly appreciate your knowledge and help making sure I end up with the correct controller. I am after torque, not speed. As a matter of fact, I don’t want my cart to go faster than 21-23 mph. It is used 100% inside a gated condo complex at the lake to run to the boy and back and to make laps around the complex when we get bored. There will also be 12-15yo’s driving it(under close supervision) and I don’t want them mashing on the accelerator and rocketing to 30 mph. I am also after ease of install. I will be installing this myself and don’t want to have to worry about frying the cart putting it in because the install is over my head.

A couple of follow up questions:
1. Can the Curtis 235 amp controller be programmed for high torque with limited RPM?
2. Will this torque be sufficient to get the cart, 4 adults and coolers up and 30% grade? Standard tires now, 20” wheels/tires down the road.
2. Do you have a 235 amp controller and wire harness you can sell me programmed the way I want?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
Lees23
Getting Wild

@bobboyce

The only 235a Curtis controller I can find is from ezgo and it’s $1800. Where can you point me to find one all in cheaper than the Navitas?
Old 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

$495 + shipping. FSIP is an authorized Curtis service center.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152355026624
Old 06-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #20
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Bob:
I truly appreciate your knowledge and help making sure I end up with the correct controller. I am after torque, not speed. As a matter of fact, I don’t want my cart to go faster than 21-23 mph. It is used 100% inside a gated condo complex at the lake to run to the boy and back and to make laps around the complex when we get bored. There will also be 12-15yo’s driving it(under close supervision) and I don’t want them mashing on the accelerator and rocketing to 30 mph. I am also after ease of install. I will be installing this myself and don’t want to have to worry about frying the cart putting it in because the install is over my head.

A couple of follow up questions:
1. Can the Curtis 235 amp controller be programmed for high torque with limited RPM?
2. Will this torque be sufficient to get the cart, 4 adults and coolers up and 30% grade? Standard tires now, 20” wheels/tires down the road.
2. Do you have a 235 amp controller and wire harness you can sell me programmed the way I want?
I don't normally sell controllers or wiring harnesses. I reprogram controllers. Once in a while, I will swap out a controller, if I feel that I can repair one for someone. I don't like getting involved in such things.

The torque is normally turned up when reprogramming a controller. It has little to do with RPM in AC motors. You are confusing DC motor building characteristics, which do not apply to AC drive. If you want to increase torque further, in exchange for speed... you would reduce tire size, not increase it.

As for harness conversions, you can look up my prior thread on how to convert a Danaher harness into a Curtis harness.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO