lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How to get more room between seat and steering wheel

I have a friend that is going through som health issues and in doing so has been through a lot of surgeries and has gained a significant amount of weight. It is difficult for him to get in because of the weight gain and he asked me to get him a smaller steering wheel. He has a 2019 Western which I understand is an EZGO with a custom body mainly.

The first asked about the steering column being moved but that is all dependent on the steering unit and I have not seen anything different.

We have all talked with him about loosing weight but with the health issues each time he tries it seems like he is going under the knife for something else. He uses the golf cart everyday as a means of transportation inside of our retirement community.

Any ideas?
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: How to get more room between seat and steering wheel

Get a steering wheel like this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (6.6 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Get a steering wheel like this one...Or modify
Attached Images
File Type: jpg external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

as mentioned above.....first off the standard steering wheel is 14" diameter. we don't know how much you/he needs but here is a place I have used....in their golf cart section there are some 12.5" wheels and even a 12" with a flat bottom to give you/him that much more room.

https://fssteeringwheels.com/collections/performance
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I am very familiar with westerns. Some came with Tilt steering wheels. I wonder if the dealer or you could replace the steering column with a tilt one. I know it won't be cheap but it is another option if the smaller steering wheels suggested above do not give enough room. If you google golf cart Tilt steering column you'll see them. They only come in chrome.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is shortening the steering shaft an option?
Not familiar with C C’s but imag it has splines on both ends so you would probably need to resplendent one end or cut amount needed to removed and weld back together.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I talked to him today and he said he gets in on the passenger side and slides in. I said if that is the case we should find that “arm guard” piece on the end of the seat and see if there are arms that will fold up. So I will search once i get a chance tomorrow.

Thanks for the link to the steering wheels and tilt steering I had forgot about. Together they may provide more than enough
Old 05-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Is this a Western with the icebox molded-in behind the seat?
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Good question, I do not remember that. I was looking at the steering and rack. I will check
Old 05-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
JoeBleaux
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

We actually have a Western (it's a gasser, but same basic rear body and features I believe, and I don't think the front/trunk unit matter between the two).

I'm not where the cart is right now, so I cannot take pics of ours, but here's a picture from the 'net:

If this is what he has: On ours, the seat can be moved fore and aft on its rails, plus the side rails and backrests can be removed - lift the seat and look to see if it is on rails, and you should see how the backrests adjust and can be removed. I don't know if that would be enough room for your situation. The seat adjustment is more for taller and shorter drivers rather than your situation, but it might have enough travel, especially if the seat is set "short."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Western Golf Cart 1.jpg (17.3 KB, 0 views)
JoeBleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO